The entry price threshold in EU agriculture: Deterrent or barrier?
AbstractThe paper investigates the effects of the entry price scheme (EPS) for a specific sector of agriculture: fresh fruit and vegetables. The analysis is conducted on the EU prices of tomatoes, lemons and apples for some of the main competing countries on the EU domestic markets: Morocco, Argentina, Turkey and China. The econometric analysis is based on testing and estimating a switching vector autoregressive model with endogenous threshold entry price level. The model shows the isolation effects and the accumulation of Standard Import Values (SIVs) above the trigger entry price. This paper contributes to clarify the role played by the EPS in avoiding or deterring low priced imports from main EU partner countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Policy Modeling.
Volume (Year): 34 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505735
Trade policy; Non-tariff barrier; Entry price system; EU agriculture; Fruits and vegetables; TVAR;
Other versions of this item:
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Cioffi, Antonio, 2012. "The entry price threshold in EU agriculture: deterrent or barrier?," MPRA Paper 36431, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert B. Davies, 2002. "Hypothesis testing when a nuisance parameter is present only under the alternative: Linear model case," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(2), pages 484-489, June.
- Sieber, Stefan & Pérez Domínguez, Ignacio, 2011. "Impact assessment of agrifood policies in Europe: Methods, tools and applications," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 7-7, January.
- Pavel Ciaian & Maria Espinosa & Sergio Gomez y Paloma & Stephen Langrell & Kamel Louhichi & Thierry Vard & Thomas Heckelei & Paolo Sckokai & Alban Thomas, 2013.
"Farm-household investment behaviour and the CAP decoupling: Methodological issues in assessing policy impacts,"
JRC-IPTS Working Papers
JRC79969, Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Viaggi, Davide & Raggi, Meri & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio, 2011. "Farm-household investment behaviour and the CAP decoupling: Methodological issues in assessing policy impacts," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 127-145, January.
- Hansen,B.E., 1999.
"Testing for linearity,"
7, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Kempen, Markus & Witzke, Peter & Pérez Domínguez, Ignacio & Jansson, Torbjörn & Sckokai, Paolo, 2011. "Economic and environmental impacts of milk quota reform in Europe," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 29-52, January.
- Lo, Ming Chien & Zivot, Eric, 2001. "Threshold Cointegration And Nonlinear Adjustment To The Law Of One Price," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 533-576, September.
- Charlotte Emlinger & Florence Jacquet & Emmanuelle Chevassus Lozza, 2008. "Tariffs and other trade costs: assessing obstacles to Mediterranean countries' access to EU-15 fruit and vegetable markets," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 35(4), pages 409-438, December.
- Emlinger, Charlotte & Chevassus-Lozza, Emmanuelle & Jacquet, Florence, 2010. "Fruit and vegetable access to EU markets: Dissecting tariffs faced by Mediterranean countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 599-611, December.
- Paola Cardamone, 2011. "The effect of preferential trade agreements on monthly fruit exports to the European Union," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 553-586, October.
- Cioffi, Antonio & dell'Aquila, Crescenzo, 2004. "The effects of trade policies for fresh fruit and vegetables of the European Union," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 169-185, April.
- Tsionas, Efthymios G. & Christopoulos, Dimitris K., 2003. "Maastricht convergence and real convergence: European evidence from threshold and smooth transition regression models," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 43-52, January.
- Swinbank, Alan, 2011. "Fruit and Vegetables, and the Role They Have Played in Determining the EUâ€™s Aggregate Measurement of Support," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 12(2).
- Chen, Sheng-Tung & Lee, Chien-Chiang, 2005. "Government size and economic growth in Taiwan: A threshold regression approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1051-1066, December.
- Cioffi, Antonio & Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Vitale, Cosimo, 2010.
"The price stabilization effects of the EU entry price scheme for fruits and vegetables,"
24828, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antonio Cioffi & Fabio Gaetano Santeramo & Cosimo Damiano Vitale, 2011. "The price stabilization effects of the EU entry price scheme for fruit and vegetables," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 42(3), pages 405-418, 05.
- Carlo Fezzi & Ian J. Bateman, 2011. "Structural Agricultural Land Use Modeling for Spatial Agro-Environmental Policy Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1168-1188.
- Jose-Maria Garcia-Alvarez-Coque & Victor Martinez-Gomez & Miquel Villanueva, 2010. "Seasonal protection of F&V imports in the EU: impacts of the entry price system," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(2), pages 205-218, 03.
- Soregaroli, Claudio & Sckokai, Paolo & Moro, Daniele, 2011. "Agricultural policy modelling under imperfect competition," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 195-212, March.
- Swinbank, Alan & Ritson, Christopher, 1995. "The impact of the GATT agreement on EU fruit and vegetable policy," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 339-357, August.
- Goetz, Linde & Grethe, Harald, 2010. "The entry price system for fresh fruit and vegetable exports from China to the EU -- Breaking a fly on the wheel?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 377-393, September.
- Winchester, Niven, 2009. "Is there a dirty little secret? Non-tariff barriers and the gains from trade," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 819-834, November.
- Goetz, Linde & Grethe, Harald, 2009. "The EU entry price system for fresh fruits and vegetables - Paper tiger or powerful market barrier?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 81-93, February.
- Alba, Joseph D. & Park, Donghyun, 2005. "An empirical investigation of purchasing power parity (PPP) for Turkey," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 989-1000, November.
- Listorti, Giulia & Esposti, Roberto, 2012. "Horizontal Price Transmission in Agricultural Markets: Fundamental Concepts and Open Empirical Issues," Bio-based and Applied Economics Journal, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA), issue 1, April.
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Cioffi, Antonio, 2. "Transmission Of Market Crises In The European Vegetables Sector," Politica Agricola Internazionale - International Agricultural Policy, Edizioni L’Informatore Agrario, issue 2.
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Cioffi, Antonio & Vitale, Cosimo Damiano, 1. "A Threshold-Var Approach To Assess The Efficacy Of The Eu Import Regime," International Journal of Food and Agricultural Economics (IJFAEC), Niğde University, Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, vol. 2(1).
- Pappalardo, Gioacchino & Bucca, Marcella & Zarba, Alfonso Silvio, 3. "Mediterranean Agricultural Product Trade between the EU and Morocco in the Perspective of the New Bilateral Agreement: Main Causes of Imbalance and Possible Effects," Politica Agricola Internazionale - International Agricultural Policy, Edizioni L’Informatore Agrario, issue 3.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.