Is there a dirty little secret? Non-tariff barriers and the gains from trade
AbstractWe estimate tariff equivalents (TEs) of non-tariff barriers (NTBs) using a series of gravity equations. Our analysis focuses on New Zealand, a nation that has a comprehensive free trade agreement (with Australia) that can be used to benchmark other trade negotiations. We estimate reductions in TEs following trade negotiations as differences between New Zealand-Australia TEs and those applying to trade between New Zealand and other nations. Simulating reductions in tariffs and NTBs in a computable general equilibrium (CGE) model indicates that gains from trade liberalisation are much larger when tariffs and NTBs are consider than when only tariffs are reduced.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Otago, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0801.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision: Jan 2008
trade liberalisation; non-tariff barriers; computable general equilibrium modelling;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arjan M. Lejour & Ruud A. de Mooij & Richard Nahuis, 2001.
"EU Enlargement: Economic Implications for Countries and Industries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
585, CESifo Group Munich.
- Arjan Lejour & Ruud de Mooij & Richard Nahuis, 2001. "EU enlargement: economic implications for countries and industries," CPB Document 11, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Robert Scollay & John P. Gilbert, 2001.
"New Regional Trading Arrangements in the Asia Pacific?,"
Peterson Institute Press: All Books,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa63.
- Robert Scollay & John P. Gilbert, 2001. "New Regional Trading Arrangements in the Asia Pacific?," Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa63, November.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 1996. "Intra-National versus International Trade: How Stubborn are Nations in Global Integration?," NBER Working Papers 5531, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005.
"The log of gravity,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
3744, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- G. Philippidis & A.I. Sanjuán, 2007. "An Examination of Morocco's Trade Options with the EU," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 16(2), pages 259-300, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Michael Ferrantino, 2006. "Quantifying the Trade and Economic Effects of Non-Tariff Measures," OECD Trade Policy Papers 28, OECD Publishing.
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-23, June.
- Brown, Drusilla K., 1987. "Tariffs, the terms of trade, and national product differentiation," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 503-526.
- G. Philippidis & A. I. Sanjuán, 2007. "An Analysis of Mercosur's Regional Trading Arrangements," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 504-531, 03.
- Philippidis, G. & Carrington, A., 2005. "European Enlargement and Single Market Accession: A Mistreated Issue," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 20, pages 543-566.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Steffen Lippert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.