Modelling Euro-Mediterranean Agricultural Trade
AbstractThis paper examines the methodological problems to define a modelling approach to assess the impact of full or limited bilateral liberalisation of agricultural trade flows in the Euro-Mediterranean region. The bilateral trade liberalisation process in the region is framed by complexity, in policy instruments and in the characteristics of the products, in particular fruits and vegetables. Advantages and disadvantages of the general equilibrium and partial equilibrium approaches to simulate trade policy impacts are assessed. Caveats of existing models are related to the representation of specific policy instruments (tariffs, entry prices and other non-tariff measures) and on the seasonal nature of horticultural trade, which is of major importance in the Euro-Mediterranean Free Trade Are. The paper provides an illustration of how an imperfect substitute product model could be helpful to describe the trade effects of bilateral price changes, for given seasons.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 1832.
Date of creation: 02 Feb 2006
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Garcia Alvarez-Coque, Jose-Maria & Martinez-Gomez, Victor & Villanueva, Miquel, 2006. "Modelling Euro-Mediterranean Agricultural Trade," Working Papers, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements 18875, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Q00 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - General
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2007-02-24 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2007-02-24 (European Economics)
- NEP-INT-2007-02-24 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rutherford, Thomas F. & Rutstrom, E. Elisabet & Tarr, David, 1997. "Morocco's free trade agreement with the EU: A quantitative assessment," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 237-269, April.
- Anania, Giovanni, 2001. "Modeling Agricultural Trade Liberalization And Its Implications For The European Union," Working Papers, National Institute of Agricultural Economics, Italy INEA, Osservatorio Sulle Politiche Agricole dell'UE 14797, National Institute of Agricultural Economics, Italy INEA, Osservatorio Sulle Politiche Agricole dell'UE.
- Malaga, Jaime E. & Williams, Gary W. & Fuller, Stephen W., 2001. "US-Mexico fresh vegetable trade: the effects of trade liberalization and economic growth," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 45-55, October.
- Deardorff, A.V. & Brown, D.K. & Stern, R.M., 1996. "Some Economic Effects of the Free Trade Agreement Between Tunisia and the European Union," Working Papers, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan 385, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Bernardo De Gennaro & Luigi Roselli & Umberto Medicamento, 2009.
"Il commercio internazionale degli oli di oliva italiani e pugliesi: un’analisi comparata,"
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 11(3), pages 79-101.
- De Gennaro, Bernardo & Roselli, Luigi & Medicamento, Umberto, 2008. "Il commercio internazionale degli oli di oliva italiani e pugliesi: un'analisi comparata," 2008 XVI Convegno Annuale SIEA - Le Dinamiche del Commercio Agro-alimentare Tra Commodities e Prodotti Differenziati, 5-6 Giugno 2008, Trieste, Italian Society of Agri-food Economics/SocietÃ Italiana 48195, Italian Society of Agri-food Economics/Società Italiana di Economia Agro-Alimentare (SIEA).
- Garcia Alvarez-Coque, Jose-Maria & Martinez-Gomez, Victor & Villanueva, Miquel, 2007. "Trade Model to Assess Euro-Med Agreements. An Application to the Fresh Tomato Market," Working Papers, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements 7281, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Anania, Giovanni, 2007. "Multilateral Negotiations, Preferential Trade Agreements and the CAP. What's Ahead?," Working Papers, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements 7283, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Anton, Jesus & Muniz, Ignacio Atance, 2007. "Measuring domestic implications of tariff cuts under EU entry price regime," 103rd Seminar, April 23-25, 2007, Barcelona, Spain, European Association of Agricultural Economists 9400, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.