Modelling agricultural policy reforms in the Mediterranean basin - Adjustments of AGRISIM
AbstractIn recent years the Mediterranean countries encounter a number of changes of the agricultural policy that could influence significantly their agricultural sector and thus their overall economy. They are faced with the ongoing trade liberalisation, the Reform of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) of the European Union (EU), since the EU is one of the major trade partners of the Mediterranean countries and the establishment of a Free Trade Area between the EU and the Mediterranean Countries after 2010. The latest is/will be accomplished through the Euro- Mediterranean Association Agreements, was decided in the Summit of Barcelona in 1995 and is particularly up- to date after 2005, 10 years after the establishment of the Barcelona Agreement. These changes are expected above all to influence the trade flows between the EU and the Mediterranean Partner Countries (MPC) and therefore, to have impacts on the production, consumption, domestic and border prices and welfare. Aim of the paper is to discuss methodological issues connected with the modelling of policy changes in the Mediterranean basin and to provide more insights on the modification of the model AGRISIM so as to make it a suitable tool to analyse the trade flows in the Mediterranean basin.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece with number 10074.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
MPCs; Euro- Mediterranean Association; Agricultural and Food Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Piergiorgio Alessandri, 2000. "European and Euro-meditterranean Agreements: same simulation analysis on the effects of the EU trade policy," KITeS Working Papers 110, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jun 2000.
- Grethe, Harald, 2004. "Marktintegration ohne Gemeinsame Agrarpolitik: Auswirkungen einer Einbeziehung von Agrarprodukten in die Zollunion mit der EU auf den tÃ¼rkischen Agrarsektor," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 53(7).
- Patricia Augier & Michael Gasiorek, 2003. "The welfare implications of trade liberalization between the Southern Mediterranean and the EU," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(10), pages 1171-1190.
- Elbehri, Aziz & Hertel, Thomas, 2004.
"A Comparative Analysis of the EU-Morocco FTA vs. Multilateral Liberalization,"
GTAP Working Papers
1643, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Elbehri, Aziz & Hertel, Thomas, 2006. "A Comparative Analysis of the EU-Morocco FTA vs. Multilateral Liberalization," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 21, pages 496-525.
- Mercenier, Jean & Yeldan, Erinc, 1997.
"On Turkey's trade policy: Is a customs union with Europe enough?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 871-880, April.
- J. Mercenier & Erinç Yeldan, 1996. "On Turkey's Trade Policy : Is A Customs Union with Europe Enough?," Departmental Working Papers 964, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Rutherford, Thomas F. & Rutstrom, E. Elisabet & Tarr, David, 1997. "Morocco's free trade agreement with the EU: A quantitative assessment," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 237-269, April.
- Konan, Denise Eby & Maskus, Keith E., 2000.
"Joint trade liberalization and tax reform in a small open economy: the case of Egypt,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 365-392, April.
- Denise Eby Konan & Keith Maskus, 1997. "Joint Trade Liberalization and Tax Reform in a Small Open Economy: The Case of Egypt," Working Papers 199703-R, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Harrison, Glenn W. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G., 1997.
"Economic implications for Turkey of a Customs Union with the European Union,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 861-870, April.
- Harrison, Glenn W. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G., 1996. "Economic implications for Turkey of a customs union with the European Union," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1599, The World Bank.
- Hosoe, Nobuhiro, 2001. "A general equilibrium analysis of Jordan's trade liberalization," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 595-600, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.