Il commercio internazionale degli oli di oliva italiani e pugliesi: un’analisi comparata
AbstractThe growing olive oil consumption recently raised the interest for the international olive oil trade, increasing the complexity of the market. Profits attracted multinational industries and corporations, whose interest crosses the National borders, influencing trade relationships. At the same time, international trade treaties resettled the map of exchanges, mainly under the influence of globalization and liberalization of markets. Consumers’ demand for quality rose almost worldwide. Market segmentation increased, and firms now can chose between different strategies. The ideal association of olive oil with the Mediterranean diet identifies the origin of the product with quality guarantee and expectations. These processes raised recently the value of denominations of origin. Several approaches have been used and tested to provide analytical tools able to unpack and to clearly summarize the dynamics of the olive oil international trade. Most of the studies are Country focused, exploring their perspectives and weaknesses, and estimating economic models. In this study we analyze the position of Italy and Apulia, an Italian region, within the olive oil international market. Apulia is one of the most important producing regions in the World; its position in the net of trade exchanges is therefore crucial to its success. The study compares Italian and Apulian performances along a 12 years time series, with respect to the three most important qualities of olive oil. Results exhibit that market structure globally changed, basically showing a higher foreign competition on lower quality olive oils. The two investigated areas differently reacted to changes. While Italy shifted its competitiveness toward higher quality olive oils and higher price solutions, Apulia lost competitiveness on the export of extra-virgin and virgin oils. At the same time Apulian import of extra-virgin olive oil increased, despite the surplus of supply.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by FrancoAngeli Editore in its journal ECONOMIA AGRO-ALIMENTARE.
Volume (Year): 11 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=87
Other versions of this item:
- De Gennaro, Bernardo & Roselli, Luigi & Medicamento, Umberto, 2008. "Il commercio internazionale degli oli di oliva italiani e pugliesi: un'analisi comparata," 2008 XVI Convegno Annuale SIEA - Le Dinamiche del Commercio Agro-alimentare Tra Commodities e Prodotti Differenziati, 5-6 Giugno 2008, Trieste 48195, Italian Society of Agri-food Economics/Società Italiana di Economia Agro-Alimentare (SIEA).
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garcia-Alvarez-Coque, Jose-Maria & Martinez-Gomez, Victor & Villanueva, Mique, 2006.
"Modelling Euro-Mediterranean Agricultural Trade,"
1832, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anania, Giovanni & Pupo D'Andrea, Maria Rosaria, 2008. "The Global Market for Olive Oil: Actors, Trends, Policies, Prospects and Research Needs," Working Papers 6109, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Samir Mili & Manuel Rodr�guez Z��iga, 2001. "Exploring future developments in international olive oil trade and marketing: A Spanish perspective," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 397-415.
- Antonio Stasi & Francesco Diotallevi & Andrea Marchini, 2012.
"Strategie di prezzo e profittabilità nel mercato degli oli extra-vergine di oliva: un modello di analisi attraverso gli scanner data,"
RIVISTA DI ECONOMIA AGRARIA,
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 0(1), pages 69-88.
- Stasi, Antonio & Diotallevi, Francesco & Marchini, Andrea, 2012.
"Strategie di prezzo e profittabilità nel mercato degli oli extra-vergine di oliva:un modello di analisi attraverso gli scanner data
[Big And Small Producers, Private Label And Gdo’S Price Strate," MPRA Paper 40449, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stasi, Antonio & Diotallevi, Francesco & Marchini, Andrea, 2012. "Strategie di prezzo e profittabilità nel mercato degli oli extra-vergine di oliva:un modello di analisi attraverso gli scanner data
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.