Estimation of Armington Elasticities: An Application to the Philippines
AbstractThe elasticities of substitution between imported and domestically produced goods - Armington elasticities - are estimated in this paper for the Philippines. The estimated elasticities are intended for use in a large, empirically based computable general equilibrium model of the Philippine economy. Armington elasticities are known to be important for the properties of these models but are seldom estimated empirically. The results of this paper suggest that estimation is possible for developing countries, like the Philippines, for which economic data are generally considered poor, provided appropriate account is taken of the dynamic properties of the data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian National University, Department of Economics in its series Trade and Development with number 96/8.
Date of creation: Sep 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Kapuscinski, Cezary A. & Warr, Peter G., 1999. "Estimation of Armington elasticities: an application to the Philippines," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 257-278, April.
- Cezary A Kapuscinski & Peter G Warr, 1996. "Estimation of Armington Elasticities: An Application to the Philippines," Departmental Working Papers 1996-08, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Boylan, T. A. & Cuddy, M. P. & O'Muircheartaigh, I., 1980. "The functional form of the aggregate import demand equation : A comparison of three European economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 561-566, November.
- Khan, Mohsm S. & Ross, Knud Z., 1977. "The functional form of the aggregate import demand equation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 149-160, May.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Reinert, Kenneth A. & Roland-Holst, David W., 1992. "Armington elasticities for United States manufacturing sectors," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 631-639, October.
- Sargan, John Denis & Bhargava, Alok, 1983. "Testing Residuals from Least Squares Regression for Being Generated by the Gaussian Random Walk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(1), pages 153-74, January.
- Teguh, Dartanto, 2010. "Volatility of world rice prices, import tariffs and poverty in Indonesia: a CGE-microsimulation analysis," MPRA Paper 31451, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Welsch, Heinz, 2006. "Armington elasticities and induced intra-industry specialization: The case of France, 1970-1997," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 556-567, May.
- Marilyne Huchet-Bourdon & Esmaeil Pishbahar, 2009.
"Armington Elasticities and Tariff Regime: An Application to European Union Rice Imports,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(3), pages 586-603.
- Marilyne Huchet-Bourdon & Esmaeil Pishbahar, 2008. "Armington elasticities and tariff regime: An application to European Union rice imports," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 200804, INRA UMR SMART.
- Asche, Frank & Guttormsen, Atle G. & Kristofersson, Dadi & Roheim, Cathy A., 2005. "Import Demand Estimation and the Generalized Composite Commodity Theorem," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19432, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Nabil Annabi & John Cockburn & Bernard Decaluwé, 2006. "Functional Forms and Parametrization of CGE Models," Working Papers MPIA 2006-04, PEP-MPIA.
- Maryline Huchet-Bourdon & Esmaeil Pishbahar, 2008. "Armington elasticities and tariff regime: an application to European Union rice imports," Post-Print hal-00729840, HAL.
- Urmas Varblane & Kristina Toming & Rena Selliov, 2002. "The Impact Of Eu-Accession On The Estonian Trade With Food Products – Partial Equilibrium Approach," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 11, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Cassoni, Adriana & Flores, Manuel, 2008. "Methodological shortcomings in estimating Armington elasticities," MPRA Paper 34544, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2009.
- Devadoss, Stephen & Holland, David W. & Stodick, Leroy & Ghosh, Joydeep, 2006. "A General Equilibrium Analysis of Foreign and Domestic Demand Shocks Arising from Mad Cow Disease in the United States," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(02), August.
- Jorge Chami Batista & Nelson Isaac Abrahão Junior, 2005. "Aggregation Problems in Estimates of Armington Elasticities and Pass-Through Effects," Economia, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 6(2), pages 329-355.
- Welsch, Heinz, 2008. "Armington elasticities for energy policy modeling: Evidence from four European countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2252-2264, September.
- González, Manuel & Wong, Sara, 2004. "Elasticidades de Sustitución de Importaciones para Ecuador," MPRA Paper 306, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised May 2005.
- Elena Lopez & Emilio Pagoulatos, 2002. "Estimates and Determinants of Armington Elasticities for the U.S. Food Industry," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 247-258, September.
- C. Stoforos & G. Mergos, 2004. "Modelling EU tobacco policy reform," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(19), pages 2167-2175.
- Bakhshoodeh, M., 2010. "Impacts of world prices transmission to domestic rice markets in rural Iran," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 12-19, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.