Modeling spatial price transmission in the grain markets of Ethiopia with an application of ARDL approach to white teff
AbstractFollowing the agricultural market liberalization policy, there is an emerging grain market structure in Ethiopia in which the central wholesale market exhibits concentration of power and spatial integration with the local markets. Due to this, it is hypothesized that the central wholesale market influences the long-run price movements in the local markets. The relationship can be modeled as spatial price equilibrium with the aim to guide subsequent policy decisions with regard to public intervention in the post-liberalization period. In this study, we modeled the spatial equilibrium relationship between the producer and the wholesale prices of white teff, a major staple in Ethiopia, using the autoregressive distributed lag modeling approach to cointegration analysis. First, the existence of a nonspurious long-run relationship in levels between the producer prices in the local market and the wholesale prices in the central market is confirmed. Second, the long-run relationship and the error correction model for the producer price are estimated. The results reveal that the wholesale price of white teff in the central consumer market is a major short- and long-run determinant of the producer price in the local supply markets. Therefore, the institutional role of the government with the aim of improving producers' marketing margin and the overall performance of the grain markets in the post-liberalization period can be influenced through targeted interventions at the central wholesale market. Copyright 2005 International Association of Agricultural Economics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its journal Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2005)
Issue (Month): s3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0169-5150
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stephan Brosig & Thomas Glauben & Linde Götz & Enno‐Burghard Weitzel & Ahmet Bayaner, 2011. "The Turkish wheat market: spatial price transmission and the impact of transaction costs," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(2), pages 147-161, Spring.
- Loening, Josef L. & Durevall, Dick & Ayalew Birru, Yohannes, 2009.
"Inflation Dynamics and Food Prices in an Agricultural Economy: The Case of Ethiopia,"
Working Papers in Economics
347, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Loening, Josef L. & Durevall, Dick & Birru, Yohannes A., 2009. "Inflation dynamics and food prices in an agricultural economy : the case of Ethiopia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4969, The World Bank.
- Mohammad Ismail Hossain & Wim Verbeke, 2010. "Evaluation of Rice Markets Integration in Bangladesh," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 15(2), pages 77-96, Jul-Dec.
- Jaleta, Moti & Gebremedhin, Berhanu, 2009. "Price Cointegration Analyses of Food Crop Markets: The case of Wheat and Teff Commodities in Northern Ethiopia," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51049, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bartleet, Matthew & Gounder, Rukmani, 2010. "Energy consumption and economic growth in New Zealand: Results of trivariate and multivariate models," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 3508-3517, July.
- Durevall, Dick & Loening, Josef L. & Birru, Yohannes A., 2010. "Inflation Dynamics and Food Prices in Ethiopia," Working Papers in Economics 478, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics, revised 03 Jun 2013.
- Durevall, Dick & Loening, Josef L. & Ayalew Birru, Yohannes, 2013. "Inflation dynamics and food prices in Ethiopia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 89-106.
- Getnet, Kindie, 2008. "From market liberalization to market development: The need for market institutions in Ethiopia," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 239-252, September.
- Quattri, Maria A., 2012. "On trade efficiency in the Ethiopian agricultural markets," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122512, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kindie Getnet, 2009. "Optimising the policy cost of market stabilisation: Which commodity matters most in Ethiopia?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 362-378.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.