The Turkish wheat market: spatial price transmission and the impact of transaction costs
AbstractAgricultural production is spread all over Turkey and the considerably different climatic and topographical conditions among the provinces lead to highly diversified agricultural production. Therefore, is it reasonable to assume an integrated market all over Turkey? The authors analyze spatial price transmission among 28 Turkish provinces with regard to wheat markets. They apply a bivariate threshold vector error correction model with two symmetric thresholds to account for transaction costs. They find an inner cluster of highly integrated provinces and identify the market size as a driving force of market integration. Furthermore, this study is unique in determining the minimum level of transaction costs. The results suggest that the minimum transaction costs impede full market integration more often on smaller than on larger markets. [EconLit citations: L100; D230; Q110]. (C) 2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 27 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kindie Getnet & Wim Verbeke & Jacques Viaene, 2005. "Modeling spatial price transmission in the grain markets of Ethiopia with an application of ARDL approach to white teff," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(s3), pages 491-502, November.
- Albert Park & Hehui Jin & Scott Rozelle & Jikun Huang, 2002. "Market Emergence and Transition: Arbitrage, Transaction Costs, and Autarky in China's Grain Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 67-82.
- Kym Anderson & Johan Swinnen, 2008.
"Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Europe's Transition Economies,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 6502, October.
- Anderson, Kym & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Europe’s Transition Economies," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48556, World Bank.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992.
9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Bwo-Nung Huang & Chin-Wei Yang, 2006. "Demand for cigarettes revisited: an application of the threshold regression model," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 34(1), pages 81-86, 01.
- Meyer, Jochen, 2004.
"Measuring market integration in the presence of transaction costs--a threshold vector error correction approach,"
Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 327-334, December.
- Meyer, Jochen, 2003. "Measuring Market Integration In The Presence Of Transaction Costs - A Threshold Vector Error Correction Approach," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25869, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Teresa Serra & Barry K. Goodwin & José M. Gil & Anthony Mancuso, 2006. "Non-parametric Modelling of Spatial Price Relationships," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 501-522.
- Harald Grethe, 2007. "The challenge of integrating EU and Turkish agricultural markets and policies," International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 6(4/5), pages 440-459.
- Lo, Ming Chien & Zivot, Eric, 2001. "Threshold Cointegration And Nonlinear Adjustment To The Law Of One Price," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 533-576, September.
- Teresa Serra & Barry K. Goodwin, 2004. "Regional Integration of Nineteenth Century U.S. Egg Markets," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 59-74.
- Abdulai, Awudu, 2000. "Spatial price transmission and asymmetry in the Ghanaian maize market," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 327-349, December.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Nicholas E. Piggott, 2001.
"Spatial Market Integration in the Presence of Threshold Effects,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 302-317.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 1999. "Spatial Market Integration In The Presence Of Threshold Effects," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21489, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Clemens Lutz & Cornelis Praagman & Luu Thanh Duc Hai, 2006. "Rice market integration in the Mekong River Delta," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 14(3), pages 517-546, 07.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brosig, Stephan & Weitzel, Enno-Burghard & Glauben, Thomas & Poghosyan, Tigran & Rozelle, Scott, 2007. "Spatial market integration and the dynamics of transaction costs in the Chinese soy bean market," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 431-437.
- Harper, Daniel C. & Goodwin, Barry K., 1999.
"Price Transmission, Threshold Behavior, And Asymmetric Adjustment In The U.S. Pork Sector,"
1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN
21666, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Harper, Daniel C., 2000. "Price Transmission, Threshold Behavior, And Asymmetric Adjustment In The U.S. Pork Sector," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(03), December.
- Atici, Cemal & Kennedy, P. Lynn, 2005. "Tradeoffs between income distribution and welfare: The case of Turkey's integration into the European Union," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 553-563, July.
- Kelvin Balcombe & Alastair Bailey & Jonathan Brooks, 2007. "Threshold Effects in Price Transmission: The Case of Brazilian Wheat, Maize, and Soya Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(2), pages 308-323.
- Christopher B. Barrett & Jau Rong Li, 2002. "Distinguishing between Equilibrium and Integration in Spatial Price Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 292-307.
- Eruygur, H.O. & Cakmak, E.H., 2008. "EU Integration of Turkey: Implications for Turkish Agriculture," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44213, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Grethe, Harald, 2004. "What Can Turkey Gain From Full Agricultural Market Integration With The Eu Without Being A Member?," Working Papers 14604, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Minten, Bart & Kyle, Steven, 1999. "The effect of distance and road quality on food collection, marketing margins, and traders' wages: evidence from the former Zaire," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 467-495, December.
- Kelvin Balcombe & George Rapsomanikis, 2008. "Bayesian Estimation and Selection of Nonlinear Vector Error Correction Models: The Case of the Sugar-Ethanol-Oil Nexus in Brazil," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(3), pages 658-668.
- Hansen, Bruce E. & Seo, Byeongseon, 2002.
"Testing for two-regime threshold cointegration in vector error-correction models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 293-318, October.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen/Seo paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Listorti, Giulia & Esposti, Roberto, 2012. "Horizontal Price Transmission in Agricultural Markets: Fundamental Concepts and Open Empirical Issues," Bio-based and Applied Economics Journal, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA), issue 1, April.
- Sendhil, R. & Kar, Amit & Mathur, V.C. & Jha, Girish K., 2013. "Price Discovery, Transmission and Volatility: Evidence from Agricultural Commodity Futures," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 26(1).
- Gokhan Ozertan & Sayed H. Saghaian & Hasan Tekguc, 2012. "Red Meat Price Spikes in Turkey," Working Papers 2012-02, Mardin Artuklu Univeristy, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.