Fossile Energiepolitik jenseits von Kyoto
Given the USA`s refusal to ratify there is little hope for the Kyoto agreement on curbing CO2 emissions. This paper thus pledges for a national energy policy beyond Kyoto based on local external effects stemming from the combustion of fossil fuels. Due to varying external effects a national policy will differentiate energy taxes between fuels. Using Swiss estimates of external effects it is shown that a national policy would fulfill the Kyoto goal as a secondary benefit. Moreover, a nationally based fossil fuel policy would affect the scope for an international trade of CO2 emission rights, as a net-buyer of emission rights will loose from participating in such a trade.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schönberggasse 1, CH-8001 Zürich|
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Buchanan, James M & Tullock, Gordon, 1975. "Polluters' Profits and Political Response: Direct Controls Versus Taxes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(1), pages 139-147, March.
- Erkki Koskela & Hans-Werner Sinn & Ronnie Schöb, 2001.
"Green Tax Reform and Competitiveness,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 2(1), pages 19-30, 02.
- Erkki Koskela & Ronnie Schob & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1999. "Green Tax Reform and Competitiveness," NBER Working Papers 6922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schöb, Ronnie & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2000. "Green Tax Reform and Competitiveness," Discussion Papers 731, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schöb, Ronnie & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1999. "Green Tax Reform and Competitiveness," CEPR Discussion Papers 2089, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schöb, Ronnie & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2001. "Green tax reform and competitiveness," Munich Reprints in Economics 19492, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- de Bovenberg, A Lans & Mooij, Ruud A, 1994. "Environmental Levies and Distortionary Taxation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1085-1089, September.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & de Mooij, R.A., 1994. "Environmental levies and distortionary taxation," Other publications TiSEM 4b32deaa-ec2f-4de7-b59b-9, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Boyd Roy & Krutilla Kerry & Viscusi W. Kip, 1995. "Energy Taxation as a Policy Instrument to Reduce CO2 Emissions: A Net Benefit Analysis," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-24, July.
- Glomsrod, Solveig & Vennemo, Haakon & Johnsen, Torgeir, 1992. " Stabilization of Emissions of CO2: A Computable General Equilibrium Assessment," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(1), pages 53-69.
- Reto Schleiniger & Stefan Felder, 1998. "Effizienz und politische Durchsetzbarkeit: Die Verwendung der Einnahmen einer C02-Abgabe in der Schweiz," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 134(III), pages 355-367, September.
- Pearce, David W, 1991. "The Role of Carbon Taxes in Adjusting to Global Warming," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 938-948, July.
- Cansier, Dieter & Krumm, Raimund, 1997. "Air pollutant taxation: an empirical survey," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 59-70, October.
- Felder, Stefan & Schleiniger, Reto, 2002. "Environmental tax reform: efficiency and political feasibility," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 107-116, August.
- Goulder Lawrence H., 1995. "Effects of Carbon Taxes in an Economy with Prior Tax Distortions: An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Analysis," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 271-297, November.
- Felder, Stefan & Schleiniger, Reto, 2002. "National CO2 policy and externalities: some general equilibrium results for Switzerland," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 509-522, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zur:iewwpx:078. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.