Privatization and liberalization in vertically linked markets
State-owned enterprises (SOEs) are often vertically integrated firms which operate in key industries like transport, telecommunication and power generation. They provide an infrastructure and invest in its quality. We discuss the effects of liberalization and their privatization which can be complete or partial such that upstream production is still run by an SOE. We show that granting a downstream rival access to the infrastructure of a vertically integrated private firm is welfare improving in most cases even if a holdup problem exists. For any vertically separated structure we find that privatization through multi-product firms welfare dominates privatization through single-product firms.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.sfb597.uni-bremen.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calzolari, Giacomo & Scarpa, Carlo, 2007.
"Footloose Monopolies: Regulating a "National Champion","
CEPR Discussion Papers
6413, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giacomo Calzolari & Carlo Scarpa, 2009. "Footloose Monopolies: Regulating a "National Champion"," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 1179-1214, December.
- isamu matsukawa, 2005. "Congestion pricing of inputs in vertically related markets," Industrial Organization 0506012, EconWPA.
- Antonio Estache & Andrea Goldstein & Russell Pittman, 2001.
"Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Antonio Estache & Andrea Goldstein & Russell Pittman, 2001. "Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 203-235, June.
- Estache, A. & Goldstein, A. & Pittman, R., 2000. "Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways," Papers 00-5, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"State versus Private Ownership,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 133-150, Fall.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "State Versus Private Ownership," NBER Working Papers 6665, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "State Versus Private Ownership," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1841, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ngo Van Long & Frank Stähler, 2009. "Trade policy and mixed enterprises," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(2), pages 590-614, May.
- Groves, Theodore & Yongmiao Hong & John McMillan & Barry Naughton, 1995. "China's Evolving Managerial Labor Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(4), pages 873-92, August.
- Barbara J. Spencer & James A. Brander, 1982.
"International R&D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy,"
518, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Spencer, Barbara J & Brander, James A, 1983. "International R & D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 707-22, October.
- Newbery, David M., 1997.
"Privatisation and liberalisation of network utilities,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 357-383, April.
- Newbery, D., 1996. "Privatisation and Liberalisation of Network Utilities," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9620, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- White, Mark D., 1996. "Mixed oligopoly, privatization and subsidization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 189-195, November.
- Groves, Theodore, et al, 1994. "Autonomy and Incentives in Chinese State Enterprises," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(1), pages 183-209, February.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- Boardman, Anthony E & Vining, Aidan R, 1989. "Ownership and Performance in Competitive Environments: A Comparison of the Performance of Private, Mixed, and State-Owned Enterprises," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(1), pages 1-33, April.
- Joyce Sadka & Jose L. Negrin, 2004. "Full vs. Light-Handed Regulation of a Network Industry," Working Papers 0403, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1999.
"Quality choice and vertical integration,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 903-914, August.
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Georges Gallais-Hamonno & Zhiqiang Liu & Randall Lutter, 1994. "Productivity Growth and Firm Ownership: An Analytical and Empirical Investigation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(5), pages 1006-38, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:sfb597:95. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.