Estland: Eine ordnungspolitische Erfolgsgeschichte?
Estonia with its foundations of economic system belongs amongst favorites of liberal economists. Foreign economical openness, stable money through the currency board arrangement exchange rate system, simple tax system with proportional income tax rate, rapid and transparent privatization for real money have guaranteed one of the world fastest economic growth so far. At the same time, the real level of Estonian economic development is one of the lowest in Europe regardless of transition period during last 15 years and EU integration. The GDP per capita, even taking into account purchasing-power parity, stays in the fifth decimal in world at the latest data. Nevertheless, international indicators of development potential, which are under the observation in this article, refer to further convergence opportunities for Estonia with developed countries. Summary figures of competitiveness, which synthesize all development assumptions, give for Estonia the position in the third decimal. Even better is the situation from the aspect of economic indexes, which stress on institutional factors. Here Estonia has a position in borderline of first ten. Only exception here is the labor market regulation. In general the institutional environment of Estonian economy may consider for promoting as competitiveness as well economic growth initially. However, present development factors have limited scope of impact in resource and effectiveness based development level. Innovation based stage development presumptions are not formed by current time.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sunde, Uwe, 2006.
"Wirtschaftliche Entwicklung und Demokratie: Ist Demokratie ein Wohlstandsmotor oder ein Wohlstandsprodukt?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2244, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Uwe Sunde, 2006. "Wirtschaftliche Entwicklung und Demokratie - Ist Demokratie ein Wohlstandsmotor oder ein Wohlstandsprodukt?," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7(4), pages 471-499, November.
- Sunde, Uwe, 2006. "Wirtschaftliche Entwicklung und Demokratie - Ist Demokratie ein Wohlstandsmotor oder ein Wohlstandsprodukt?," Munich Reprints in Economics 19588, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Guido Tabellini, 2005.
"The Role of the State in Economic Development,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 283-303, 04.
- Guido Tabellini, 2004. "The Role of the State in Economic Development," CESifo Working Paper Series 1256, CESifo Group Munich.
- Guido Tabellini, 2004. "The Role of the State in Economic Development," Working Papers 265, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Guido Tabellini, 2004. "The Role of the State in Economic Development," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000720, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Stanley L. Engerman & Kenneth L. Sokoloff, 2003. "Institutional and Non-Institutional Explanations of Economic Differences," NBER Working Papers 9989, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 2004.
"Do Institutions Cause Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
10568, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alain de Serres, 2003. "Structural Policies and Growth: A Non-Technical Overview," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 355, OECD Publishing.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Sanghoon Ahn & Philip Hemmings, 2000. "Policy Influences on Economic Growth in OECD Countries: An Evaluation of the Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 246, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:opodis:200702. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.