A new regional classification for mobile telecommunications diffusion policy in China: Using the innovation and imitation coefficients
While Chinese telecommunications industry has been continuously developing, the penetration rate of mobile telecommunications by province in China is distributed from less than 40% to larger than 100% in 2009. This regional disparity in terms of mobile telecommunications penetration rate is due to various socioeconomic factors such as income level, occupation structure, education level. The purpose of this paper is to suggest a new approach for regional classification based on the diffusion characteristics of each province for more effective and efficient mobile telecommunication's diffusion policy and strategy. First, this paper estimates diffusion parameters, including an innovation coefficient and imitation coefficient of 31 provinces using mobile subscription data, and then classifies the provinces into six groups using cluster analysis based on the estimated innovation coefficient and imitation coefficients. The clusters are also significantly different in terms of socioeconomic perspective such as income level. The results of cluster analysis imply that the traditional regional classifications are too simple and should be divided more in detail in terms of innovation and imitation coefficients in the case of developing mobile telecommunications strategies. This new regional classification (six clusters) can be used for not only 3G diffusion policy but also the future mobile telecommunications technology diffusion policy. In China, 3G service was started in January 2009 as Chinese government awarded 3G cellular licenses. Finally, the managerial and political implications are addressed based on the new regional classification.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.itseurope.org/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Zhuo & Huffman, Wallace E. & Rozelle, Scott, 2009.
"Farm technology and technical efficiency: Evidence from four regions in China,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 153-161, June.
- Chen, Zhuo & Huffman, Wallace & Rozelle, Scott, 2006. "Farm Technology and Technical Efficiency: Evidence from Four Regions in China," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12605, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Sylvie Démurger & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Wing Thye Woo & Shuming Bao & Gene Chang & Andrew Mellinger, 2002. "Geography, Economic Policy, and Regional Development in China," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 1(1), pages 146-197.
- Sylvie Demurger & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Wing Thye Woo & Shuming Bao & Gene Chang & Andrew Mellinger, 2001. "Geography, Economic Policy and Regional Development in China," CID Working Papers 77A, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Sylvie Demurger & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Wing Thye Woo & Shuming Bao & Gene Chang & Andrew Mellinger, 2002. "Geography, Economic Policy and Regional Development in China," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1950, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Sylvie Demurger & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Wing Thye Woo & Shuming Bao, Gene Chang & Andrew Mellinger, 2002. "Geography, Economic Policy, and Regional Development in China," NBER Working Papers 8897, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sylvie DEMURGER & BAO & CHANG & MELLINGER & SACHS & Wing Thye WOO, 2001. "Geography, Economic Policy and Regional Development in China," Working Papers 200109, CERDI.
- Banerjee, Aniruddha & Ros, Agustin J., 2004. "Patterns in global fixed and mobile telecommunications development: a cluster analysis," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 107-132, March.
- Chen, Zhuo & Song, Shunfeng, 2008. "Efficiency and technology gap in China's agriculture: A regional meta-frontier analysis," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 287-296, June.
- Zhuo Chen & Shunfeng Song, 2006. "Efficiency and Technology Gap in China's Agriculture: A Regional META-Frontier Analysis," Working Papers 06-005, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics;University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:itse12:60358. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.