An empirical analysis of the state of competition in OECD mobile wireless markets
Contra the current trend of deregulation, mobile wireless markets in the OECD member states appear, until recently, to have been more or less concentrated. The study estimates the equations for market concentration, mobile prices, and profits using annual panel data from 24 OECD member states for the 1998-2009 period, in order to assess their interaction. Mobile prices, measured by revenue per minute in constant USD PPP, are regarded as a direct measure of consumer welfare. Estimation results indicate that in the second half of the 2000s, market concentration had no effect on mobile prices, whereas the positive relationship between market concentration and profits persisted. In other words, the market-power hypothesis is rejected in the second half of the 2000s. This empirical result provides a strong case for a recent lenient approach towards regulation and merger attempts in OECD mobile wireless markets. Additionally, the study provides evidence that regulatory policies have affected mobile market structure and performance.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.itseurope.org/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lukasz Grzybowski, 2005. "Regulation of Mobile Telephony across the European Union: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 47-67, 07.
- Heli Koski & Tobias Kretschmer, 2004.
"Entry, Standards and Competition: Firm Strategies and the Diffusion of Mobile Telephony,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 89-113, November.
- Heli Koski & Tobias Kretschmer, 2005. "Entry, standards and competition : firm strategies and the diffusion of mobile telephony," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 801, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Koski, Heli & Kretschmer, Tobias, 2002. "Entry, Standards and Competition : Firm Strategies and the Diffusion of Mobile Telephony," Discussion Papers 824, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Joshua S. Gans & Stephen P. King & Julian Wright, 2005. "Wireless Communications," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-45, Monash University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:itse11:52204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.