Assessing proposals for a transatlantic free trade area
Initiatives to reduce transatlantic trade barriers or to harmonize trade-related domestic policies in the EU and the US appear regularly on the agenda of policy makers. The last decade saw also considerable steps in transatlantic economic cooperation focusing on special aspects. In February 2002, a new call for a study on the benefits of a transatlantic free trade area (TAFTA) was made by the President of the EU Council to facilitate further liberalization schemes. This article examines recent developments in transatlantic economic policies, discusses changes in approaches in transatlantic regionalism and presents estimates of the economic consequences of transatlantic liberalization. Given the expected small benefits of a TAFTA and the induced costs for multilateral liberalization negotiations, the article discusses alternatives to TAFTA and argues for a multilateral approach, eventually being accompanied by some sort of open regionalism.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juergen B. Donges & Andreas Freytag & Ralf Zimmermann, 1997. "TAFTA: Assuring its Compatibility with Global Free Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(5), pages 567-583, 08.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1998. "The New Regionalism," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1149-61, July.
- W. Hertel, Thomas, 2001.
"Dynamic Effects of the “New Age” Free Trade Agreement between Japan and Singapore,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 16, pages 446-484.
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Terrie Walmsley & Ken Itakura, 2001. "Dynamic Effects of the "New Age" Free Trade Agreement between Japan and Singapore," GTAP Working Papers 823, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Jeffrey J. Schott & Barbara Oegg, 2001. "Europe and the Americas: Toward a TAFTA-South?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(6), pages 745-759, 06.
- Siebert, Horst & Langhammer, Rolf J. & Piazolo, Daniel, 1996.
"TAFTA: fuelling trade discrimination or global liberalisation?,"
Kiel Working Papers
720, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Siebert, Horst & Langhammer, Rolf J. & Piazolo, Daniel, 1996. "TAFTA: fuelling trade discrimination or global liberalisation?," Kiel Working Papers 720, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Britta L³bcke & Daniel Piazolo, 1998. "Die Dynamischen Auswirkungen einer Nordatlantischená Wirtschaftsgemeinschaft (NATEC)," Homo Oeconomicus, Institute of SocioEconomics, vol. 15, pages 195-216.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifwkie:2769. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.