Foreign aid and recipient countries' exports: How important are improved bilateral trade relations?
This paper uses the gravity model of trade to investigate the link between foreign aid and exports in recipient countries and tests for the transmission channels between aid and exports/economic development in developing countries. Most of the theoretical work emphasizes the negative impact of aid on recipient countries' exports primarily due to exchange rate appreciation, disregarding the positive impact of aid linked to the income effect. The empirical findings, in contrast, indicate that the net impact of aid on recipient countries' exports is positive and that the average return for recipients' exports is about 1.50 US$ for every aid dollar spent. The paper also estimates the effect of different types of aid (bilateral aid [from one donor to one specific recipient, and bilateral aid from all the other donors to one specific recipient], as well as multilateral aid flowing to a specific recipient) and finds that at least two types of aid have a positive and significant effect on recipients' exports, thus ruling out a major crowding out effect. It is further found that aid is hardly export-enhancing in Africa.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ael.ethz.ch/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Stephan Klasen & Mario Larch, 2009.
"Does German Development Aid Promote German Exports?,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10, pages 317-338, 08.
- Martínez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada & Nowak-Lehmann D., Felicitas & Klasen, Stefan & Larch, Mario, 2008. "Does German Development Aid Promote German Exports?," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Zurich 2008 26, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Inmaculada Martínez Zarzoso & Felictas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Stephan Klasen & Mario Larch, 2008. "Does German Development Aid Promote German Exports?," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 170, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Stephan Klasen & Dierk Herzer, 2008.
"Aid and Trade - A Donor´s Perspective,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
171, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Inmaculada Martínez Zarzoso & Stephan Klasen & Dierk Herzer, 2009. "Aid and Trade - A Donor’s Perspective," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 7, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2002.
"Bilateral Donors' Aid Allocation Decisions: A Three-dimensional Panel Analysis,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2004. "Bilateral donors' aid allocation decisions--a three-dimensional panel analysis," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 253-274.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:gdec10:44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.