Small is beautiful? How the introduction of mini futures contracts affects the regular contract
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Shiqing Xie & Taiping Mo, 2014. "Index Futures Trading and Stock Market Volatility in China: A Difference‐in‐Difference Approach," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 34(3), pages 282-297, March.
- Peter Gomber & Satchit Sagade & Erik Theissen & Moritz Christian Weber & Christian Westheide, 2017.
"Competition Between Equity Markets: A Review Of The Consolidation Versus Fragmentation Debate,"
Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 792-814, July.
- Gomber, Peter & Sagade, Satchit & Theissen, Erik & Weber, Moritz Christian & Westheide, Christian, 2016. "Competition between equity markets: A review of the consolidation versus fragmentation debate," SAFE Working Paper Series 35, Leibniz Institute for Financial Research SAFE.
- Kingsley Y. L. Fong & Craig W. Holden & Charles A. Trzcinka, 2017. "What Are the Best Liquidity Proxies for Global Research?," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 21(4), pages 1355-1401.
- William L. Silber, 1981. "Innovation, competition, and new contract design in futures markets," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(2), pages 123-155, June.
- David G. McMillan & Raquel Quiroga Garcia, 2008. "Efficiency of the IBEX spot–futures basis: The impact of the mini‐futures," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(4), pages 398-415, April.
- George H. K. Wang & Jot Yau, 2000. "Trading volume, bid–ask spread, and price volatility in futures markets," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(10), pages 943-970, November.
- Alberto Abadie & Alexis Diamond & Jens Hainmueller, 2015. "Comparative Politics and the Synthetic Control Method," American Journal of Political Science, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 59(2), pages 495-510, February.
- Alberto Abadie & Javier Gardeazabal, 2003. "The Economic Costs of Conflict: A Case Study of the Basque Country," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 113-132, March.
- Koch, Alexander K. & Lazarov, Zdravetz, 2007. "The Trade-Off Between Liquidity and Precision of Position in Option Contracts," Review of Applied Economics, Lincoln University, Department of Financial and Business Systems, vol. 3(1-2), pages 1-24.
- Beck, Nathaniel & Katz, Jonathan N., 1995. "What To Do (and Not to Do) with Time-Series Cross-Section Data," American Political Science Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 89(3), pages 634-647, September.
- Tu, Anthony H. & Wang, Ming-Chun, 2007. "The innovations of e-mini contracts and futures price volatility components: The empirical investigation of S&P 500 stock index futures," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 198-211, April.
- Robin K. Chou & George H. K. Wang & Yun‐Yi Wang, 2015. "The Effects of Margin Changes on the Composition of Traders and Market Liquidity: Evidence from the Taiwan Futures Exchange," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 35(10), pages 894-915, October.
- Ben R. Marshall & Nhut H. Nguyen & Nuttawat Visaltanachoti, 2012. "Commodity Liquidity Measurement and Transaction Costs," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(2), pages 599-638.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Johnson, Simon & Kermani, Amir & Kwak, James & Mitton, Todd, 2016.
"The value of connections in turbulent times: Evidence from the United States,"
Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 368-391.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & Amir Kermani & James Kwak & Todd Mitton, 2013. "The Value of Connections in Turbulent Times: Evidence from the United States," NBER Working Papers 19701, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Parkinson, Michael, 1980. "The Extreme Value Method for Estimating the Variance of the Rate of Return," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 61-65, January.
- Robert W. Faff, 2002. "The Impact of Stock Index Futures Trading on Daily Returns Seasonality: A Multicountry Study," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(1), pages 95-126, January.
- Allaudeen Hameed & Wenjin Kang & S. Viswanathan, 2010. "Stock Market Declines and Liquidity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 65(1), pages 257-293, February.
- Shane A. Corwin & Paul Schultz, 2012. "A Simple Way to Estimate Bid‐Ask Spreads from Daily High and Low Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 67(2), pages 719-760, April.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik & Seguin, Paul J, 1992. "Futures-Trading Activity and Stock Price Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 2015-2034, December.
- Smales, Lee A., 2016. "Trading behavior in S&P 500 index futures," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 46-55.
- Huseyin Gulen & Stewart Mayhew, 2000. "Stock index futures trading and volatility in international equity markets," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(7), pages 661-685, August.
- Galloway, Tina M & Miller, James M, 1997. "Index Futures Trading and Stock Return Volatility: Evidence from the Introduction of MidCap 400 Index Futures," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 845-865, November.
- Abadie, Alberto & Diamond, Alexis & Hainmueller, Jens, 2010. "Synthetic Control Methods for Comparative Case Studies: Estimating the Effect of Californiaâ€™s Tobacco Control Program," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 105(490), pages 493-505.
- Holden, Craig W., 2009. "New low-frequency spread measures," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 778-813, November.
- repec:oup:rfinst:v:21:y:2017:i:4:p:1355-1401. is not listed on IDEAS
- Farshid Abdi & Angelo Ranaldo, 2017. "A Simple Estimation of Bid-Ask Spreads from Daily Close, High, and Low Prices," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 30(12), pages 4437-4480.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Marshall, Ben R. & Nguyen, Nhut H. & Visaltanachoti, Nuttawat, 2018. "Do liquidity proxies measure liquidity accurately in ETFs?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 94-111.
- Li, Zhiyong & Lambe, Brendan & Adegbite, Emmanuel, 2018.
"New bid-ask spread estimators from daily high and low prices,"
International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 69-86.
- Li, Zhiyong & Lambe, Brendan & Adegbite, Emmanuel, 2017. "New Bid-Ask Spread Estimators from Daily High and Low Prices," MPRA Paper 79102, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Díaz, Antonio & Escribano, Ana, 2020. "Measuring the multi-faceted dimension of liquidity in financial markets: A literature review," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(C).
- Bruno Ferman & Cristine Pinto & Vitor Possebom, 2020.
"Cherry Picking with Synthetic Controls,"
Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 39(2), pages 510-532, March.
- Ferman, Bruno & Pinto, Cristine Campos de Xavier & Possebom, Vítor Augusto, 2016. "Cherry picking with synthetic controls," Textos para discussão 420, FGV EESP - Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Fundação Getulio Vargas (Brazil).
- Ferman, Bruno & Pinto, Cristine & Possebom, Vitor, 2017. "Cherry Picking with Synthetic Controls," MPRA Paper 78213, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barseghyan, Gayane, 2019. "Sanctions and counter-sanctions : What did they do?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 24/2019, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Zhou, Xun & Eskelinen, Juha & Malo, Pekka, 2021. "Design Flaw of the Synthetic Control Method," MPRA Paper 106328, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giulio Grossi & Patrizia Lattarulo & Marco Mariani & Alessandra Mattei & Ozge Oner, 2020. "Synthetic Control Group Methods in the Presence of Interference: The Direct and Spillover Effects of Light Rail on Neighborhood Retail Activity," Papers 2004.05027, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2021.
- Marchesi, Silvia & Masi, Tania, 2021. "Life after default. Private and official deals," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 113(C).
- Wanling Rudkin & Charlie X Cai, 2019. "Reaction Asymmetries to Social Responsibility Index Recomposition: A Matching Portfolio Approach," Papers 1911.12582, arXiv.org.
- Gao, Yang & Li, Yunhai & Wang, Yaojun & Wang, Chao & Liu, Chao, 2019. "Asymptotic comparison of three spread estimators based on Roll’s model," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 525(C), pages 420-432.
- Matej Opatrny, 2021.
"The impact of the Brexit vote on UK financial markets: a synthetic control method approach,"
Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 48(2), pages 559-587, May.
- Matej Opatrny, 2019. "The Impact of the Brexit Vote on UK Financial Markets: A Synthetic Control Method Approach," Working Papers IES 2019/27, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Sep 2019.
- Ramos, Henrique Pinto & Righi, Marcelo Brutti, 2020. "Liquidity, implied volatility and tail risk: A comparison of liquidity measures," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 69(C).
- Noémi Kreif & Richard Grieve & Dominik Hangartner & Alex James Turner & Silviya Nikolova & Matt Sutton, 2016.
"Examination of the Synthetic Control Method for Evaluating Health Policies with Multiple Treated Units,"
Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(12), pages 1514-1528, December.
- Kreif, Noémi & Grieve, Richard & Hangartner, Dominik & Turner, Alex James & Nikolova, Silviya & Sutton, Matt, 2016. "Examination of the synthetic control method for evaluating health policies with multiple treated units," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 65074, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Niklas Potrafke & Kaspar Wuthrich, 2020. "Green governments," Papers 2012.09906, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2021.
- Aderonke Osikominu & Gregor Pfeifer & Kristina Strohmaier & Gregor-Gabriel Pfeifer, 2021.
"The Effects of Free Secondary School Track Choice: A Disaggregated Synthetic Control Approach,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
- Osikominu, Aderonke & Pfeifer, Gregor & Strohmaier, Kristina, 2021. "The Effects of Free Secondary School Track Choice: A Disaggregated Synthetic Control Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 14033, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Bueno, Matheus & Valente, Marica, 2019. "The effects of pricing waste generation: A synthetic control approach," EconStor Open Access Articles and Book Chapters, ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics, pages 274-285.
- Będowska-Sójka, Barbara & Kliber, Agata, 2021. "Information content of liquidity and volatility measures," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 563(C).
- Malo, Pekka & Eskelinen, Juha & Zhou, Xun & Kuosmanen, Timo, 2020. "Computing Synthetic Controls Using Bilevel Optimization," MPRA Paper 104085, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cruz A. Echevarría & Javier García-Enríquez, 2020. "The economic cost of the Arab Spring: the case of the Egyptian revolution," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 59(3), pages 1453-1477, September.
- Bueno, Matheus & Valente, Marica, 2019. "The effects of pricing waste generation: A synthetic control approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 96(C), pages 274-285.
More about this item
KeywordsStock index futures; Mini futures; Liquidity; Market quality;
All these keywords.
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cfrwps:1906. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/cfkoede.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/cfkoede.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.