Farsighted Coalitional Stability in TU-games
We study farsighted coalitional stability in the context of TUgames. Chwe (1994, p.318) notes that, in this context, it is difficult to prove nonemptiness of the largest consistent set. We show that every TU-game has a nonempty largest consistent set. Moreover, the proof of this result points out that each TU-game has a farsighted stable set. We go further by providing a characterization of the collection of farsighted stable sets in TU-games. We also show that the farsighted core of a TU-game is empty or is equal to the set of imputations of the game. Next, the relationships between the core and the largest consistent set are studied in superadditive TU-games and in clan games. In the last section, we explore the stability of the Shapley value. It is proved that the Shapley value of a superadditive TU-game is always a stable imputation: it is a core imputation or it constitutes a farsighted stable set. A necessary and sufficient condition for a superadditive TU-game to have the Shapley value in the largest consistent set is given.
|Date of creation:||06 Aug 2007|
|Note:||Financial support from the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, SFB 504, at the University of Mannheim, is gratefully acknowledged.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: D-68131 Mannheim|
Phone: (49) (0) 621-292-2547
Fax: (49) (0) 621-292-5594
Web page: http://www.sfb504.uni-mannheim.de/
More information through EDIRC
Web page: http://www.sfb504.uni-mannheim.de
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Page Jr. Frank H & Wooders, Myrna & Kamat, Samir, 2003.
"Networks and Farsighted Stability,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
689, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Page Jr, Frank H & Wooders, Myrna H. & Kamat, Samir, 2002. "Networks And Farsighted Stability," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 660, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Frank H. Page Jr. & Myrna H. Wooders & Samir Kamat, 2002. "Networks and Farsighted Stability," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 370, Society for Computational Economics.
- Page Jr, Frank H & Wooders, Myrna H & Kamat, Samir, 2001. "Networks And Farsighted Stability," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 621, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Samir Kamat & Frank Page & Myrna Wooders, 2004. "Networks and Farsighted Stability," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 561, Econometric Society.
- Xue, Licun, 1997. "Nonemptiness of the Largest Consistent Set," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 453-459, April.
- Brânzei, R. & Dimitrov, D.A. & Tijs, S.H., 2006.
"Convex Games versus Clan Games,"
2006-58, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ana Mauleon & Vincent Vannetelbosch, 2004.
"Farsightedness and Cautiousness in Coalition Formation Games with Positive Spillovers,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 56(3), pages 291-324, 05.
- MAULEON, Ana & VANNETELBOSCH, Vincent, "undated". "Farsightedness and cautiousness in coalition formation games with positive spillovers," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1729, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Effrosyni Diamantoudi & Licun Xue, 2003.
"Farsighted stability in hedonic games,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 21(1), pages 39-61, 08.
- Masuda, Takeshi, 2002. "Farsighted stability in average return games," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 169-181, November.
- John C. Harsanyi, 1974. "An Equilibrium-Point Interpretation of Stable Sets and a Proposed Alternative Definition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(11), pages 1472-1495, July.
- Effrosyni Diamantoudi & Licun Xue, 2006. "Lucas Counter Example Revisited," Departmental Working Papers 2005-09, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Rosenthal, Robert W., 1972. "Cooperative games in effectiveness form," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 88-101, August.
- Licun Xue, 1998. "Coalitional stability under perfect foresight," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 11(3), pages 603-627.
- Akihiro Suzuki & Shigeo Muto, 2005. "Farsighted Stability in an n-Person Prisoner’s Dilemma," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 33(3), pages 431-445, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:xrs:sfbmaa:07-57. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carsten Schmidt)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.