Foreign Trade and FDI in the Austrian Regions – A new methodology to estimate regional trade and an analysis of the crisis effects
Foreign trade and foreign direct investments (FDI) are key elements for economic development and growth of both a country and its regions. This paper focuses on foreign trade and FDI in Austrian regions (Bundesländer). Unfortunately, data on regional trade in Austria is only available on a very limited basis. The aim of this study is to develop new methodologies for the estimation of exports and imports of Austrian regions and analyse the data generated by this methodology. The basic idea is to disaggregate national foreign trade data to the regional level by using national input-output, regional employment and other supplemental data. This allows estimating Austrian regional foreign trade for the years 1999 to 2009. The study shows a large variation in trade among regions. Lower Austria, Upper Austria, Styria and Vorarlberg are the regions with the highest export share. The importance of regional trade increases between 1999 and 2008; the crisis in 2009 had a strong negative impact. Furthermore, the competitiveness of regions differs considerably. Only three regions, Upper Austria, Styria and Vorarlberg, show trade surplus.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
|Order Information:|| Postal: FIW Project Office Austrian Institute of Economic Research Arsenal Objekt 20 A-1030 Vienna|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anthony J. Venables, 2006.
"Shifts in economic geography and their causes,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 15-39.
- Anthony J. Venables, 2006. "Shifts in economic geography and their causes," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q IV, pages 61-85.
- Anthony J. Venables, 2006. "Shifts in Economic Geography and their Causes," CEP Discussion Papers dp0767, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Anthony J. Venables, 2006. "Shifts in economic geography and their causes," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19774, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Anthony J. Venables, 2006. "Shifts in Economic Geography and their Causes," CentrePiece - The Magazine for Economic Performance 218, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Lydia Greunz, 2003. "The technology gap and European regional growth dynamics," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9485, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Vicente Ruiz & Lewis Dijkstra, 2011. "Refinement of the OECD regional typology: Economic Performance of Remote Rural Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1650, European Regional Science Association. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsr:ecbook:2012:i:iv-001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.