Urban growth and territorial dynamics in Spain (1985-2001): A spatial econometrics analysis
The study of the territorial/regional development in Spain has nowadays a relatively long tradition, but from the point of view of cities development the number of studies and documents decreases drastically. This paper tries to improve the knowledge of the Spanish urban system. The aim of this paper is twofold: firstly, to determine the factors that explain the urban growth of Spanish cities; secondly, to observe the cities situation in terms of ¡§winners¡¨ and ¡§losers¡¨ after the long period of integration of Spain in the EU. A spatial conditional ƒÒ- convergence equation is specified and the Durbin-Wu-Haussman exogeneity test is used to check on the existence of simultaneity between urban growth and the control variables. The classic problems of spread and backwash are studied by including a spatial autoregressive term and spatial regimes ¡Vconvergence clubs- in the growth model.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henderson, Vernon & Kuncoro, Ari & Turner, Matt, 1995.
"Industrial Development in Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 1067-90, October.
- Audretsch, David B, 1998.
"Agglomeration and the Location of Innovative Activity,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 18-29, Summer.
- Audretsch, David B, 1998. "Agglomeration and the Location of Innovative Activity," CEPR Discussion Papers 1974, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991.
"Growth in Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:att:wimass:9419 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sergio Rey & Brett Montouri, 1999. "US Regional Income Convergence: A Spatial Econometric Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 143-156.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1990. "Economic Growth and Convergence across The United States," NBER Working Papers 3419, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johnson, Paul & Takeyama, Lisa N., 2001. "Convergence Among the U.S. States: Absolute, Conditional, or Club?," Vassar College Department of Economics Working Paper Series 50, Vassar College Department of Economics, revised Oct 2003.
- Magalhães, André & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D. & Azzoni, Carlos R., 2005. "Spatial Dependence and Regional Convergence in Brazil," INVESTIGACIONES REGIONALES - Journal of REGIONAL RESEARCH, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 6, pages 5-20.
- Maria Amparo Toral, 2001. "Regional growth and convergence in the Spanish Provinces," ERSA conference papers ersa01p193, European Regional Science Association.
- Enrique López-Bazo & Esther Vayá & Manuel Artís, 2004. "Regional Externalities And Growth: Evidence From European Regions," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 43-73.
- Joan Trullén & Josep Lladós & Rafael Boix, 2002. "Economía del conocimiento, ciudad y competitividad," Working Papers wp0207, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Olivier Thomas, 2001. "A few evidences about the current growth of French cities," ERSA conference papers ersa01p4, European Regional Science Association.
- Durlauf, Steven N & Johnson, Paul A, 1995.
"Multiple Regimes and Cross-Country Growth Behaviour,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 365-84, Oct.-Dec..
- Durlauf, S.M. & Johnson, P.A., 1995. "Multiple Regimes and Cross-Country Growth Behavior," Working papers 9419r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1996. "Localization of Industry and Trade Performance," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(3), pages 52-60, Autumn.
- Claudia Stirboeck, 2003. "Comparing Sectoral Investment and Employment Specialisation of EU Regions: A Spatial Econometric Analysis," ERSA conference papers ersa03p259, European Regional Science Association.
- Henderson, J. Vernon, 1986. "Efficiency of resource usage and city size," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 47-70, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpur:0411003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.