Rebuilding Fiscal Institutions in Post-Conflict Countries
This paper reviews the key challenges in rebuilding fiscal institutions in post-conflict countries. Based on IMF technical assistance advice, it proposes a three-step framework for the creation or re-establishment of well-functioning public finance institutions: (i) creating a proper legal framework for fiscal management, (ii) establishing a central fiscal authority, and (iii) designing appropriate tax policies while simultaneously creating simple tax administration and expenditure management arrangements.
|Date of creation:||30 Apr 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - pdf; pages: 24. Paper presented at the UNU- WIDER conference 'Making Peace Work', Helsinki June 4-5. For a more recent and comprehensive version see|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Acemoglu, Daron & Johnson, Simon & Robinson, James A & Thaicharoen, Yunyong, 2002.
"Institutional Causes, Macroeconomic Symptoms: Volatility, Crises and Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3575, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Johnson, Simon & Robinson, James & Thaicharoen, Yunyong, 2003. "Institutional causes, macroeconomic symptoms: volatility, crises and growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 49-123, January.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James Robinson & Yunyong Thaicharoen, 2002. "Institutional Causes, Macroeconomic Symptoms: Volatility, Crises and Growth," NBER Working Papers 9124, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dani Rodrik, 2006.
"Institutions for High-Quality Growth: What They Are and How to Acquire Them,"
in: Institutions, Globalisation and Empowerment, chapter 2
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Dani Rodrik, 2000. "Institutions for High-Quality Growth: What They are and How to Acquire Them," NBER Working Papers 7540, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2000. "Institutions For High-Quality Growth: What They Are And How To Acquire Them," CEPR Discussion Papers 2370, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:rus:hseeco:72137 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gupta, Sanjeev & Clements, Benedict & Bhattacharya, Rina & Chakravarti, Shamit, 2004. "Fiscal consequences of armed conflict and terrorism in low- and middle-income countries," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 403-421, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwppe:0504010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.