Empirical Evidence Regarding El Paso Property Tax Abatements: 1988-2001
Property tax abatements are commonly used by municipal governments as incentives for heightened levels of business investment in their respective communities. Widespread statistical evidence questions the efficacy of such policies. However, many of the studies to date rely on data samples that may not adequately account for the time dependent natures of cumulative abatement effects. A 13-year sample for El Paso, Texas is examined for evidence of beneficial effects of the city abatement program on the local market. Similar to other metropolitan areas throughout the United States, statistical results indicate that the El Paso economy has not benefited from the implementation of property tax abatements.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, John E. & Wassmer, Robert W., 1995. "The decision to 'bid for business': Municipal behavior in granting property tax abatements," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 739-757, December.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- McDonald, John F., 1983. "An economic analysis of local inducements for business," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 322-336, May.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & David Torres & Martha Patricia Barraza de Anda & Jon Amastae, 2004. "Borderplex Economic Change," Urban/Regional 0409009, EconWPA.
- Timothy J. Bartik, 1991. "Who Benefits from State and Local Economic Development Policies?," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number wbsle, November.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr, 2004.
"Specification of a Borderplex Econometric Forecasting Model,"
- Thomas M. Fullerton JR., 2001. "Specification of a Borderplex Econometric Forecasting Model," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 24(2), pages 245-260, April.
- Robert W. Wassmer, 1992. "Property Tax Abatement and the Simultaneous Determination of Local Fiscal Variables in a Metropolitan Area," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(3), pages 263-282.
- Thomas M. Fullerton, Jr., 2001. "Educational attainment and border income performance," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q III, pages 2-10.
- Timothy J. Bartik, 2003. "Local Economic Development Policies," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 03-91, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwppe:0405007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.