When Being Virtuous Makes Sense: Bourgeois Ethics in the Golden Age vs. Embarrassment of the Bourgeoisie Today
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Deirdre McCloskey, 2004. "The Bourgeois Virtues," World Economics, World Economics, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 5(3), pages 1-16, July.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Hrotko, Timur, 2008. "Wash Corporate Heads! Business Practice can be Changed via the Dispositions of Executives: Re-socialization towards Implicit Eco-sustainability," MPRA Paper 9089, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 13 May 2008.
- Bart J. Wilson, 2012. "Contra Private Fairness," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(2), pages 407-435, April.
- Michael Schwartz, 2009. "Moral Vision: Iris Murdoch and Alasdair MacIntyre," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(3), pages 315-327, December.
- Boettke, Peter, 2012.
"A behavioral approach to the political and economic inquiry into the nature and causes of the wealth of nations,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 753-756.
- Boettke, Peter, 2011. "A behavioral approach to the political and economic inquiry into the nature and causes of the wealth of nations," MPRA Paper 32376, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Colignatus, Thomas, 2008. "Review of Howard DeLong (1991), "A refutation of Arrow’s theorem", with a reaction, also on its relevance in 2008 for the European Union," MPRA Paper 9661, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 21 Jul 2008.
- Christopher Coyne, 2009. "The politics and economics of global interventionism," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer;Society for the Development of Austrian Economics, vol. 22(2), pages 181-191, June.
- Langlois, Richard N., 2013. "Business groups and the natural state," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 14-26.
- George Bragues, 2009. "Adam Smith’s Vision of the Ethical Manager," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(4), pages 447-460, December.
- D. Den Uyl, 2009. "Homo moralis," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer;Society for the Development of Austrian Economics, vol. 22(4), pages 349-385, December.
- Walton Padelford & Darin White, 2009. "The Shaping of a Society’s Economic Ethos: A Longitudinal Study of Individuals’ Morality of Profit-Making Worldview," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 85(1), pages 67-75, March.
- James Alm & Benno Torgler, 2011. "Do Ethics Matter? Tax Compliance and Morality," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 101(4), pages 635-651, July.
- Luuk Knippenberg & Edwin Jong, 2010. "Moralising the Market by Moralising the Firm," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 96(1), pages 17-31, September.
- Grantham, George, 2013. "Reflections on the legacy of Gaidar," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, pages 7-37, February.
- Khalil, Elias, 2007. "The Mirror-Neuron Paradox: How Far is Sympathy from Compassion, Indulgence, and Adulation?," MPRA Paper 3509, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Lipka, 2013. "The Max U Approach: Prudence Only, or Not Even Prudence? A Smithian Perspective," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 10(1), pages 2-14, January.
- Andrea Migone, 2011. "Embedded markets: A dialogue between F.A. Hayek and Karl Polanyi," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer;Society for the Development of Austrian Economics, vol. 24(4), pages 355-381, December.
- McCloskey, Deirdre Nansen, 2009. "Bourgeois dignity and liberty: Why economics can’t explain the modern world," MPRA Paper 16805, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- McCloskey, Deirdre Nansen, 2006. "Thrift as a Virtue, Historically Criticized," MPRA Paper 4088, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
Keywordsbourgeois virtues; virtue ethics; Simon Schama; Deirdre McCloskey;
All these keywords.
- N - Economic History
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-HIS-2005-09-17 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2005-09-17 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2005-09-17 (Post Keynesian Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpmh:0509002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://econwpa.ub.uni-muenchen.de .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: EconWPA (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://econwpa.ub.uni-muenchen.de .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.