The Bourgeois Virtues
â€˜Bourgeois virtueâ€™ is not a contradiction in terms. The age of capitalism has enormously enriched the world. But the enrichment is by no means only material. The virtues enabled capitalist development; but a bourgeois life also encouraged new versions of old virtues; and gave scope for varied lives.
Volume (Year): 5 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
- Langlois, Richard N., 2013.
"Business groups and the natural state,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 14-26.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2010. "Business Groups and the Natural State," Working papers 2010-29, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Bart J. Wilson, 2012. "Contra Private Fairness," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(2), pages 407-435, 04.
- Bart J. Wilson, 2008. "Contra Private Fairness," Working Papers 08-04, Chapman University, Economic Science Institute.
- D. Den Uyl, 2009. "Homo moralis," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer;Society for the Development of Austrian Economics, vol. 22(4), pages 349-385, December.
- Boettke, Peter, 2012. "A behavioral approach to the political and economic inquiry into the nature and causes of the wealth of nations," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 753-756.
- Boettke, Peter, 2011. "A behavioral approach to the political and economic inquiry into the nature and causes of the wealth of nations," MPRA Paper 32376, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gordon Redding & Michael Witt, 2009. "China’s business system and its future trajectory," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 381-399, September.
- Walton Padelford & Darin White, 2009. "The Shaping of a Society’s Economic Ethos: A Longitudinal Study of Individuals’ Morality of Profit-Making Worldview," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 85(1), pages 67-75, March.
- McCloskey, Deirdre Nansen, 2006. "Thrift as a Virtue, Historically Criticized," MPRA Paper 4088, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George Bragues, 2009. "Adam Smith’s Vision of the Ethical Manager," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(4), pages 447-460, December.
- Tigran Melkonyan & Mark Pingle, 2008. "Religion and Faith: A Decision Theory Perspective," Working Papers 08-003, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics;University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
- Andrea Migone, 2011. "Embedded markets: A dialogue between F.A. Hayek and Karl Polanyi," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer;Society for the Development of Austrian Economics, vol. 24(4), pages 355-381, December.
- Michael Schwartz, 2009. "Moral Vision: Iris Murdoch and Alasdair MacIntyre," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(3), pages 315-327, December.
- Hrotko, Timur, 2008. "Wash Corporate Heads! Business Practice can be Changed via the Dispositions of Executives: Re-socialization towards Implicit Eco-sustainability," MPRA Paper 9089, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 13 May 2008.
- Luuk Knippenberg & Edwin Jong, 2010. "Moralising the Market by Moralising the Firm," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 96(1), pages 17-31, September.
- Colignatus, Thomas, 2008. "Review of Howard DeLong (1991), "A refutation of Arrow’s theorem", with a reaction, also on its relevance in 2008 for the European Union," MPRA Paper 9661, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 21 Jul 2008.
- Khalil, Elias, 2007. "The Mirror-Neuron Paradox: How Far is Sympathy from Compassion, Indulgence, and Adulation?," MPRA Paper 3509, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James Alm & Benno Torgler, 2011. "Do Ethics Matter? Tax Compliance and Morality," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 101(4), pages 635-651, July.
- James Alm & Benno Torgler, 2012. "Do Ethics Matter? Tax Compliance and Morality," Working Papers 1207, Tulane University, Department of Economics.
- Christopher Coyne, 2009. "The politics and economics of global interventionism," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer;Society for the Development of Austrian Economics, vol. 22(2), pages 181-191, June.
- McCloskey, Deirdre Nansen, 2009. "Bourgeois dignity and liberty: Why economics can’t explain the modern world," MPRA Paper 16805, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wej:wldecn:176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ed Jones)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed