Minsky's Analysis of Financial Capitalism
In this paper, the authors discuss Minsky's analysis of the evolution of one variety of capitalism-financial capitalism-which developed at the end of the nineteenth century and was the dominant form of capitalism in the developed countries after World War II. Minsky's approach, like those of Schumpeter and Veblen, emphasized the importance of market power in this stage of capitalism. According to Minksy, modern capitalism requires expensive and long-lived capital assets, which, in turn, necessitate financing of positions in these assets as well as market power in order to gain access to financial markets. It is the relation between finance and investment that creates instability in the modern capitalist economy. Financial capitalism emerged from World War II with an array of new institutions that made it stronger than ever before. As the economy evolved, it moved from this more successful form of financial capitalism to the fragile form of capitalism that exists today.
|Date of creation:||05 Oct 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Adobe Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC; to print on PostScript; pages: 15; figures: included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Hahn, 1985. "Money and Inflation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262580624, June.
- John F. Henry & L. Randall Wray, 1998.
- Domenico Delli Gatti & Mauro Gallegati & Hyman P. Minsky, 1994.
"Financial Institutions, Economic Policy, and the Dynamic Behavior of the Economy,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_126, Levy Economics Institute.
- Domenico Delli Gatti & Mauro Gallegati & Hyman P. Minsky, 1999. "Financial Institutions, Economic Policy, and the Dynamic Behavior of the Economy," Macroeconomics 9903009, EconWPA.
- Kregel, J A, 1995. "Neoclassical Price Theory, Institutions, and the Evolution of Securities Market Organisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(429), pages 459-70, March.
- Ferri, Piero & Minsky, Hyman P., 1992.
"Market processes and thwarting systems,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 79-91, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:0004022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.