International Capital Mobility: Evidence from Panel Data
Krol (1996) reports estimates of the saving-investment correlation, based on panel regressions, that are much lower than commonly found in the literature. This note argues that this low estimate is not related to the panel estimation technique, as Krol claims, but largely to the inclusion of Luxembourg in the sample. Panel estimation only reduces the correlation’s estimate by about 0.12.
|Date of creation:||14 Oct 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - pdf; prepared on Win98; to print on HP, A4 page format; pages: 8; figures: included. Final version, October 1999 (Journal of International Money and Finance)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Feldstein & Charles Horioka, 1979.
"Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gundlach, Erich & Sinn, Stefan, 1991.
"Unit root tests of the current account balance: implications for international capital mobility,"
Kiel Working Papers
495, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Gundlach, Erich & Sinn, Stefan, 1991. "Unit root tests of the current account balance: implications for international capital mobility," Kiel Working Papers 495, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- W. Jansen, 1998. "Interpreting Saving-Investment Correlations," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 207-219, July.
- Krol, Robert, 1996. "International capital mobility: evidence from panel data," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 467-474, June.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995.
"Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992. "Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jos Jansen, W, 1996. "Estimating saving-investment correlations: evidence for OECD countries based on an error correction model," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 749-781, October.
- Coiteux, Martin & Olivier, Simon, 2000. "The saving retention coefficient in the long run and in the short run: evidence from panel data," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 535-548, August.
- Coakley, Jerry & Kulasi, Farida & Smith, Ron, 1996. "Current Account Solvency and the Feldstein-Horioka Puzzle," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 620-27, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpif:0310003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.