Education, Inequality and Violent Crime in Minas Gerais
This paper presents an economic model of individual crime decision relying on relative deprivation and discusses the role of education. It distinguishes between property and interpersonal crime and proposes an econometric estimation of the model for 723 municipalities of Minas Gerais, one of the 26 Brazilian states. Education has a significant reducing effect upon interpersonal crime but not on violent property crime, which is mainly influenced by inequality.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward L. Glaeser & Bruce Sacerdote, 1996.
"Why Is There More Crime in Cities?,"
NBER Working Papers
5430, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Bruce Sacerdote, 1996. "Why is There More Crime in Cities?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1746, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Pradhan, Menno & Ravallion, Martin, 2003. "Who wants safer streets? Explaining concern for public safety in Brazil," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 17-33, February.
- Dan Usher, 1997.
"Education as a Deterrent to Crime,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(2), pages 367-84, May.
- Fajnzylber, Pablo & Lederman, Daniel & Loayza, Norman, 2002. "What causes violent crime?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(7), pages 1323-1357, July.
- Lederman, Daniel & Loayza, Norman & Menendez, Ana Maria, 2002. "Violent Crime: Does Social Capital Matter?," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(3), pages 509-39, April.
- Ehrlich, Isaac, 1973. "Participation in Illegitimate Activities: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 521-65, May-June.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20010093 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1979. "Relative Deprivation and the Gini Coefficient," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 93(2), pages 321-24, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwphe:0509006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.