The Associations Between Self-Rated Vision and Hearing and Functional Status in Middle Age
Objectives: To describe the correlations between self-reported visual and hearing impairment and an index of global functional status. Design: Multivariate analyses of functional status based on cross sectional data from Wave 1 (1992) of the Health and Retirement Study (HRS) controlling for demographic and socioeconomic status, common chronic conditions and general health status. Participants: 9,744 U.S. community-dwelling persons age 51-61 years Main Outcome Measure: A global index of functional status based on self-reported limitations in 11 activities Results: About 12% of respondents rated their vision or hearing as poor. Controlling for demographic factors, socioeconomic status, medical conditions, and general health status, limitations in both vision and hearing were independently correlated with worse functional status. Controlling for income, wealth, education did not greatly reduce the strength of the associations between vision and hearing impairment and function. Conclusions: Visual and hearing impairment appear to have a significant relationship with overall physical functioning in the elderly.
|Date of creation:||18 Feb 2004|
|Note:||Type of Document - doc; pages: 21. Ophthalmology, February 1999, Vol. 106, No. 2, pp. 401-405|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1984. "Tobit models: A survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 3-61.
- F. Thomas Juster & Richard Suzman, 1995. " An Overview of the Health and Retirement Study," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30, pages s7-s56.
- James Smith & Raynard Kington, 1997.
"Demographic and economic correlates of health in old age,"
Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 34(1), pages 159-170, February.
- Smith, J-P & Kington, R, 1997. "Demographic and Economic Correlates of Health in Old Age," Papers 97-06, RAND - Reprint Series.
- James P. Smith & Raynard Kington, 2004. "Demographic and Economic Correlates of Health in Old Age," Labor and Demography 0408008, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwphe:0402002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.