Self-Selection Under Non-Ordered Valuations: Type-Splitting, Envy-Cycles, Rationing And Efficiency
We analyze self-selection problem when valuations are non-ordered. The corresponding package-pricing solution has specific graph structure. It is helpful in deriving weak su±cient conditions for both partial e±ciency and Pareto-e±ciency. Unlike the ordered valuations case, Pareto e±ciency is shown to be a non-pathological case. Pareto e±ciency and positive consumer surplus are mutually exclusive. Under costs separability optimal package-pricing scheme is shown implementable by small rewards. Counter-examples show that our assumptions are essential. In certain non-ordered situations, package-optimization setting with rations is more appropriate than the standard setting.
|Date of creation:||03 Jul 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC ; to print on HP/PostScript; pages: 43|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Babu Nahata & Serguei Kokovin & Evgeny Zhelobodko, 2003. "Package Sizes, Tariffs, Quantity Discount and Premium," General Economics and Teaching 0307002, EconWPA.
- Guesnerie, Roger & Seade, Jesus, 1982.
"Nonlinear pricing in a finite economy,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 157-179, March.
- Milgrom, Paul & Shannon, Chris, 1994.
"Monotone Comparative Statics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 157-80, January.
- Michael L. Katz, 1983. "Non-uniform Pricing, Output and Welfare under Monopoly," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(1), pages 37-56.
- Varian, Hal R., 1989. "Price discrimination," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 597-654 Elsevier.
- Guesnerie, Roger & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1984. "A complete solution to a class of principal-agent problems with an application to the control of a self-managed firm," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 329-369, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpgt:0307001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.