Self-Selection Under Non-Ordered Valuations: Type-Splitting, Envy-Cycles, Rationing And Efficiency
We analyze self-selection problem when valuations are non-ordered. The corresponding package-pricing solution has specific graph structure. It is helpful in deriving weak su±cient conditions for both partial e±ciency and Pareto-e±ciency. Unlike the ordered valuations case, Pareto e±ciency is shown to be a non-pathological case. Pareto e±ciency and positive consumer surplus are mutually exclusive. Under costs separability optimal package-pricing scheme is shown implementable by small rewards. Counter-examples show that our assumptions are essential. In certain non-ordered situations, package-optimization setting with rations is more appropriate than the standard setting.
|Date of creation:||03 Jul 2003|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC ; to print on HP/PostScript; pages: 43|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Milgrom, Paul & Shannon, Chris, 1994.
"Monotone Comparative Statics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 157-180, January.
- Guesnerie Roger & Seade Jesus, 1981.
"Nonlinear pricing in a finite economy,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Guesnerie, Roger & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1984. "A complete solution to a class of principal-agent problems with an application to the control of a self-managed firm," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 329-369, December.
- Michael L. Katz, 1983. "Non-uniform Pricing, Output and Welfare under Monopoly," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(1), pages 37-56.
- Varian, Hal R., 1989. "Price discrimination," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 597-654 Elsevier.
- Babu Nahata & Serguei Kokovin & Evgeny Zhelobodko, 2003. "Package Sizes, Tariffs, Quantity Discount and Premium," General Economics and Teaching 0307002, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpgt:0307001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.