A Dynamic Equilibrium Model of Real Exchange Rates with General Transaction Costs
We study the behavior of real exchange rates in a twocountry dynamic equilibrium model. In this model, consumers can only consume domestic goods but can invest costlessly in capital stocks of both countries. Nevertheless, transporting goods between the two countries is costly and, hence, the rebalancing of the capital stock can only happen finitely often. We propose a realistic cost structure for goods transportation, wherein the total cost increases with the amount of shipment but the unit cost decreases with it due to economies of scale. Given such a cost structure, the optimal decisions on when and how much to transfer need to be determined jointly. The dual decision depends upon the magnitude of economies of scale, the production technology specifications, and the consumer preferences. The model can reconcile the observed large shortterm volatility of the real exchange rate with its slow convergence to parity. Further, the drift and diffusion of the real exchange rate are not uniquely determined by the real exchange rate level. The dynamics of the real exchange rate can only be determined by a joint analysis of the real exchange rate and the underlying economic fundamentals such as the capital stock imbalance between the two countries.
|Date of creation:||30 Aug 2002|
|Note:||Type of Document - pdf; prepared on MikTex; to print on postscript; pages: 35 ; figures: included. produced via dvipdfm|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. C. Merton, 1970.
"Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model,"
58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971. "Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- Lothian, James R & Taylor, Mark P, 1996. "Real Exchange Rate Behavior: The Recent Float from the Perspective of the Past Two Centuries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(3), pages 488-509, June.
- Domenico Cuoco & Hong Liu, "undated".
"Optimal Consumption of a Divisible Durable Good,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
20-98, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Constantinides, George M, 1986.
"Capital Market Equilibrium with Transaction Costs,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 842-862, August.
- Uppal, Raman, 1993. " A General Equilibrium Model of International Portfolio Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(2), pages 529-553, June.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Laroque, Guy, 1990.
"Asset Pricing and Optimal Portfolio Choice in the Presence of Illiquid Durable Consumption Goods,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 25-51, January.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Guy Laroque, 1987. "Asset Pricing and Optimal Portfolio Choice in the Presence of Illiquid Durable Consumption Goods," NBER Working Papers 2369, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanford J Grossman & Guy Laroque, 2003. "Asset Pricing and Optimal Portfolio Choice in the Presence of Illiquid Durable Consumption Goods," Levine's Working Paper Archive 618897000000000803, David K. Levine.
- C. Atkinson & P. Wilmott, 1995. "Portfolio Management With Transaction Costs: An Asymptotic Analysis Of The Morton And Pliska Model," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(4), pages 357-367.
- Dumas, Bernard & Luciano, Elisa, 1991. " An Exact Solution to a Dynamic Portfolio Choice Problem under Transactions Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 577-595, June.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Kim, Michael & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995.
"The Law of One Price Over 700 Years,"
95-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Michael Kim & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995. "The Law of One Price Over 700 Years," NBER Working Papers 5132, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Rogoff & Kenneth Froot & Michael Kim, 2001. "The Law of One Price Over 700 Years," IMF Working Papers 01/174, International Monetary Fund.
- Dimitri Vayanos, 1998.
"Transaction costs and asset prices : a dynamic equilibrium model,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
451, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Vayanos, Dimitri, 1998. "Transaction Costs and Asset Prices: A Dynamic Equilibrium Model," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(1), pages 1-58.
- Hollifield, Burton & Uppal, Raman, 1997. " An Examination of Uncovered Interest Rate Parity in Segmented International Commodity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 2145-2170, December.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1991. "Target Zones and Exchange Rate Dynamics," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(3), pages 669-682.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995.
"The mirage of fixed exchange rates,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
95-08, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Andrew J. Morton & Stanley R. Pliska, 1995. "Optimal Portfolio Management With Fixed Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(4), pages 337-356.
- Hong Liu & Mark Loewenstein, 2002. "Optimal Portfolio Selection with Transaction Costs and Finite Horizons," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 805-835.
- Dumas, Bernard, 1992. "Dynamic Equilibrium and the Real Exchange Rate in a Spatially Separated World," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 153-180.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Peel, David A., 2000. "Nonlinear adjustment, long-run equilibrium and exchange rate fundamentals," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 33-53, February.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-1176, December.
- Michael, Panos & Nobay, A Robert & Peel, David A, 1997.
"Transactions Costs and Nonlinear Adjustment in Real Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 862-879, August.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Michael-Nobay-Peel ESTAR models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00113, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hong Liu, 2004. "Optimal Consumption and Investment with Transaction Costs and Multiple Risky Assets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(1), pages 289-338, 02.
- Sarantis, Nicholas, 1999. "Modeling non-linearities in real effective exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 27-45, January.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & John Barkoulas, 1998.
"Nonlinear Adjustment to Purchasing Power Parity in the post-Bretton Woods Era,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
404., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 16 Nov 1999.
- Baum, Christopher F. & Barkoulas, John T. & Caglayan, Mustafa, 2001. "Nonlinear adjustment to purchasing power parity in the post-Bretton Woods era," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 379-399, June.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0207016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.