Wealth Effects of Banks' Rights to Market and Originate Annuities
We examine wealth effects, for banks and insurers, of bank rights to sell and underwrite annuities. The stock-price reactions to four court and regulatory decisions are consistent with expectations of bank gains at insurers' expense. Cross-sectionally, smaller, riskier insurers with higher distribution costs and substantial annuity business sustain larger wealth losses. Larger, riskier bank holding companies with fee- based and consumer business gain most, consistent with the extension of federal safety-net guarantees as a source of gains. Banking stock-price reactions to the Supreme Court's decision are opposite other findings, possibly reflecting unfulfilled expectations of a broader mandate for expanded bank rights.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fred Furlong & Simon Kwan, 1999.
"Financial Modernization and Regulation,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 95-100, December.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- John J. Binder, 1985. "Measuring the Effects of Regulation with Stock Price Data," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(2), pages 167-183, Summer.
- John, Kose & John, Teresa A. & Senbet, Lemma W., 1991. "Risk-shifting incentives of depository institutions: A new perspective on federal deposit insurance reform," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 895-915, September.
- Marcia Cornett & Hamid Mehran & Hassan Tehranian, 1998. "The Impact of Risk-Based Premiums on FDIC-Insured Institutions," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 153-169, April.
- Karafiath, Imre, 1988. "Using Dummy Variables in the Event Methodology," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 23(3), pages 351-57, August.
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
- Julie L. Williams & Stuart E. Feldstein & Karen E. Mcsweeney, 1997. "Current Issues Regarding Bank Sales Of Insurance And Annuity Products," Risk Management and Insurance Review, American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 1(1), pages 65-84, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0203002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.