Nonparametric Slope Estimators for Fixed-Effect Panel Data
In panel data the interest is often in slope estimation while taking account of the unobserved cross sectional heterogeneity. This paper proposes two nonparametric slope estimation where the unobserved effect is treated as fixed across cross section. The first estimator uses first-differencing transformation and the second estimator uses the mean deviation transformation. The asymptotic properties of the two estimators are established and the finite sample Monte Carlo properties of the two estimators are investigated allowing for systematic dependence between the cross-sectional effect and the independent variable. Simulation results suggest that the new nonparametric estimators perform better than the parametric counterparts. We also investigate the finite sample properties of the parametric within and first differencing estimators. A very common practice in estimating earning function is to assume earnings to be quadratic in age and tenure, but that might be misspecified. In this paper we estimate nonparametric slope of age and tenure on earnings using NLSY data and compare it to the parametric (quadratic) effect.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshua Angrist & Alan Krueger, 1990.
"Does Compulsory School Attendance Affect Schooling and Earnings?,"
653, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Joshua D. Angrist & Alan B. Keueger, 1991. "Does Compulsory School Attendance Affect Schooling and Earnings?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(4), pages 979-1014.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Alan B. Krueger, 1990. "Does Compulsory School Attendance Affect Schooling and Earnings?," NBER Working Papers 3572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Qi Li & Thomas J. Kniesner, 2002. "Nonlinearity in dynamic adjustment: Semiparametric estimation of panel labor supply," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 131-148.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Dong Li, .
"Series Estimation of Partially Linear Panel Data Models with Fixed Effects,"
0109, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Dong Li, 2002. "Series Estimation of Partially Linear Panel Data Models with Fixed Effects," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 3(1), pages 103-116, May.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Chang, Young-Jae & Li, Qi, 1992. "Monte Carlo results on several new and existing tests for the error component model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 95-120.
- Nerlove, Marc, 1971. "A Note on Error Components Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(2), pages 383-96, March.
- Robinson, P M, 1986. "Nonparametric Methods in Specification," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(380a), pages 134-41, Supplemen.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Qi Li & Aman Ullha, 1998. "Estimating partially linear panel data models with one-way error components," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 145-166.
- Henderson, Daniel J. & Ullah, Aman, 2005. "A nonparametric random effects estimator," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 403-407, September.
- Li, Qi & Stengos, Thanasis, 1996. "Semiparametric estimation of partially linear panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 389-397.
- Francis Vella & Marno Verbeek, 1998. "Whose wages do unions raise? A dynamic model of unionism and wage rate determination for young men," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(2), pages 163-183.
- Francisco L. Rivera-Batiz, 1999. "Undocumented workers in the labor market: An analysis of the earnings of legal and illegal Mexican immigrants in the United States," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 91-116.
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- Zongwu Cai & Jianqing Fan & Qiwei Yao, 2000. "Functional-coefficient regression models for nonlinear time series," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6314, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpem:0502008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.