Population Changes and Regional Economic Growth in the Nordic Countries 1994-2006
Population changes are decisive for growth performances. This has been shown in a number of country studies, using time series data. The analysis is here extended in two dimensions: 1) the importance of demographics for growth is taking in to account a regional dimension allowing for spatial error structures in dynamic panel model and 2) doing the analysis in an international comparative set-up testing for the differences in effects under different national contexts. The countries considered in the paper are Nordic countries, which has the advantage of comparing rather similar countries in terms of institutional, social and legislative systems, but with quite different types of geographic structures. It therefore allows for an analysis of the importance of population change for regional growth patterns in rather similar welfare systems but for countries what vary considerably in size and geographic structures. The analysis build on harmonized data for the Nordic countries covering the period 1994-2006.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elke Holst & C. Katharina Spieß, 2004. "The Transition into Work: Specialities for the Hidden Labour Force," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 428, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Gary S. Becker, 1981. "A Treatise on the Family," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck81-1, March.
- Kiefer,Nicholas M. & Neumann,George R., 2006.
"Search Models and Applied Labor Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521024648.
- Sanna-Mari Hynninen & Aki Kangasharju & Jaakko Pehkonen, 2009.
"Matching Inefficiencies, Regional Disparities, and Unemployment,"
CEIS, vol. 23(3), pages 481-506, 09.
- Jaakko Pehkonen & Aki Kangasharju & Sanna-Mari Hynninen, 2009. "Matching inefficiencies, regional disparities and unemployment," Working Papers 4, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Aki Kangasharju & Sari Pekkala, 2001.
"Regional Labour Market Adjustment: Are Positive and Negative Shocks Different?,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa01p196, European Regional Science Association.
- Sari Pekkala & Aki Kangasharju, 2002. "Regional Labour Market Adjustment: Are Positive and Negative Shocks Different?," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 16(2), pages 267-286, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa10p922. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.