Determinants of buyouts in private equity firms
Private equity companies have become a major force in the economic landscape. Financial- and operational-engineering are innovative characteristics of this emerging method of finance. The existing empirical data provide strong evidence that private equity activity contribute positively to the rapid growth of companies. In this paper probability of private equity funded buyouts in the Nordic market is investigated. Operationally this is done by applying a logit model on a number of firm specific accounting measures. The main finding is that it is the dynamics of these variables in the target firms that are important for potential buyouts. That is, the growth measured as change in employees, change in the debt equity level, and the change in EBITDA margin, all have a significant effect on the probability of being bought by a private equity firm. Keywords Private equity, buyouts, performance, logit model JEL codes G34 G32
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amess, Kevin, 2002. "Management Buyouts and Firm-Level Productivity: Evidence from a Panel of UK Manufacturing Firms," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 49(3), pages 304-17, August.
- Merton H. Miller & Franco Modigliani, 1961. "Dividend Policy, Growth, and the Valuation of Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34, pages 411.
- Bjuggren, Per-Olof & Eklund, Johan & Wiberg, Daniel, 2008. "Institutional Ownership and the Returns on Investment," Ratio Working Papers 128, The Ratio Institute.
- Richard Harris & Donald S. Siegel & Mike Wright, 2003.
"Assessing the Impact of Management Buyouts on Economic Efficiency: Plant-Level Evidence from the United Kingdom,"
Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics
0304, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Richard Harris & Donald S. Siegel & Mike Wright, 2005. "Assessing the Impact of Management Buyouts on Economic Efficiency: Plant-Level Evidence from the United Kingdom," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 148-153, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521747387 is not listed on IDEAS
- Frank R Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1989.
"The Effects Of Leveraged Buyouts On Productivity And Related Aspects Of Firm Behavior,"
89-5, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R. & Siegel, Donald, 1990. "The effects of leveraged buyouts on productivity and related aspects of firm behavior," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 165-194, September.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1991. "The Effects of Leveraged Buyouts on Productivity and Related Aspects of Firm Behavior," NBER Working Papers 3022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521766555 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa10p1450. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.