Politics of immigration - quotas of entrance and hidden economy
In spite of the fact that in recent years there has been a growing interest for the hidden economy, little attention has been lent to its relation with the illegal immigration as a consequence of the establishment of quotas. The objective of this work is to analyze the effect of a change in the quotas of legal immigrants in the size of the legal and illegal migration, the underground economy, and in the incomes perceived by the workers. The main conclusions are that, as opposed to the short time, in the long-term equilibrium, an increment of the quota does not have effect on the size of the migration, but in the composition between legal and illegal. On the other hand diminishes the work destined to the management of the underground economy by the reduction of illegal immigrants in the stationary state, however the effect is positive in the short run by the “called effect” of illegal immigrants that carries an increment in the quota.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lundborg, Per & Segerstrom, Paul S., 2002.
"The growth and welfare effects of international mass migration,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 177-204, January.
- Lundborg, Per & Segerstrom, Paul S., 1998. "The Growth and Welfare Effects of International Mass Migration," Working Paper Series 146, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Gordon M. Myers & Yorgos Y. Papageorgiou, 2000.
"Towards a Better System for Immigration Control,"
dp00-17, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University, revised Sep 2000.
- Berry, R Albert & Soligo, Ronald, 1969. "Some Welfare Aspects of International Migration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(5), pages 778-94, Sept./Oct.
- Hazari, Bharat R. & Sgro, Pasquale M., 2003.
"The simple analytics of optimal growth with illegal migrants,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Hazari, Bharat R. & Sgro, Pasquale M., 2003. "The simple analytics of optimal growth with illegal migrants," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 141-151, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa05p536. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.