Labour market status of job seekers in regional matching processes
This study examines the matching aspects of local labour markets focusing on the status of job seekers in the matching process, on spatial autocorrelation in labour market conditions of local labour markets, and on differences in matching processes between areas with permanently deviating unemployment rates. The data set is temporally, spatially, and by labour market positions of job seekers highly disaggregate monthly data from 171 Local Labour Offices (LLOs) in Finland over 12 years. According to the results, an increase in the share of long-term unemployed job seekers decreases matches, and an increase in the share of job seekers out of labour force increases successful matches in local labour markets. The matching process does not work in the same way in all areas, but on the contrary its functioning is dependent on the unemployment conditions. Effects of increases in the number of inputs on successful matches depend on the proportional share of that input in the area as well as on the composition of the stock of job seekers. The results also indicate the labour market conditions and matching processes across neighbouring LLOs being spatially autocorrelated.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van Ours, J.C. & Lindeboom, M. & Renes, G., 1994.
"Matching employers and workers : An empirical analysis on the effectiveness of search,"
Other publications TiSEM
3ada67c1-145c-42d0-8726-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Lindeboom, Maarten & van Ours, Jan C & Renes, Gusta, 1994. "Matching Employers and Workers: An Empirical Analysis on the Effectiveness of Search," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 45-67, January.
- Lindeboom, M. & Ours, J.C. & Renes, G., 1991. "Matching employers and workers : an empirical analysis on the effectiveness of search," Serie Research Memoranda 0063, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Burgess, Simon M. & Profit, Stefan, 1998.
"Externalities in the matching of workers and firms in Britain,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1998,19, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Burgess, Simon & Profit, Stefan, 2001. "Externalities in the matching of workers and firms in ritain," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 313-333, June.
- Simon Burgess & Stefan Profit, 2001. "Externalities in the Matching of Workers and Firms in Britain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0490, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Burgess, Simon & Profit, Stefan, 1998. "Externalities in the Matching of Workers and Firms in Britain," CEPR Discussion Papers 1854, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1990.
"Ranking, Unemployment Duration, and Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
3387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001.
"Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2000. "Looking into the black box: a survey of the matching function," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Aki Kangasharju & Jaakko Pehkonen & Sari Pekkala, 2005. "Returns to scale in a matching model: evidence from disaggregated panel data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 115-118.
- Lourens Broersma, 1997. "Competition between employed and unemployed job searchers: is there a difference between the UK and The Netherlands?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 199-203.
- Layard, R. & Bean, C., 1988.
"Why Does Unemployment Persist?,"
321, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Karen Mumford & Peter N. Smith, .
"The Hiring Function Reconsidered: On Closing The Circle,"
96/45, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Mumford, Karen & Smith, Peter N, 1999. " The Hiring Function Reconsidered: On Closing the Circle," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(3), pages 343-64, August.
- Karen Mumford & P Smith, 1997. "The Hiring Function Reconsidered: On Closing the Circle," CEP Discussion Papers dp0359, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas & Hanna Pesola, 2003. "Regional Labour Market Matching Functions and Efficiency Analysis," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 17(3), pages 413-437, 09.
- Burgess, Simon & Turon, Hélène, 2003.
"Unemployment Equilibrium and On-the-Job Search,"
IZA Discussion Papers
753, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- van Ours, J.C. & Broersma, L., 1999.
"Job searchers, job matches and the elasticity of matching,"
Other publications TiSEM
c199f354-b73c-49b6-84f6-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Broersma, Lourens & Van Ours, Jan C., 1999. "Job searchers, job matches and the elasticity of matching," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 77-93, March.
- Broersma, L. & van Ours, J.C., 1998. "Job Searchers, Job Matches and the Elasticity of Matching," Discussion Paper 1998-72, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Burgess, Simon M, 1993. "A Model of Competition between Unemployed and Employed Job Searchers: An Application to the Unemployment Outflow Rate in Britain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(420), pages 1190-204, September.
- Sergio Rey & Brett Montouri, 1999. "US Regional Income Convergence: A Spatial Econometric Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 143-156.
- Patricia M. Anderson & Simon M. Burgess, 2000. "Empirical Matching Functions: Estimation and Interpretation Using State-Level Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 93-102, February.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 1994. "Search Unemployment with On-the-job Search," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 457-475.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 1992. "Loss of Skill During Unemployment and the Persistence of Employment Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(4), pages 1371-1391.
- Budd, Alan & Levine, Paul & Smith, Peter, 1988. "Unemployment, Vacancies and the Long-term Unemployed," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(393), pages 1071-91, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa05p499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.