A Spatial Model Of Change Of Fdi Firm Population In Istanbul
Within the context of the foreign capital- orientation programme having been implemented since 1980, the regulation concerning the foreign investments in Turkey were freed and this has paved the way for important developments in terms of the entrance of foreign capital into the country and foreign investments. As a result of this, there was a dramatic increase in number of foreign investment firms in Turkey and, especially, Istanbul. The increase in foreign investments had major impacts on the spatial transformation of Istanbul Metropolitan Area. In this paper, change in FDI firm population in Istanbul has been viewed between 1990- 2004. An explanatory model has been applied to determine causes factors affecting change at the district level. Foreign firms were generally in parallel with the development of CBD ( the central business district) of Istanbul and Foreign Capital firms in Istanbul appear to demonstrate a trend towards accumulating in CBD.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chien-Hsun Chen, 1996. "Regional determinants of foreign direct investment in mainland China," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 18-30, May.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Coughlin, Cletus C & Terza, Joseph V & Arromdee, Vachira, 1991. "State Characteristics and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment within the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 675-83, November.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2003. "A theory of the spatial distribution of foreign direct investment," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 149-169.
- C K Leung, 1996. "Foreign Manufacturing Investment and Regional Industrial Growth in Guangdong Province, China," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 28(3), pages 513-536, March.
- Yingqi Wei & Xiaming Liu & David Parker & Kirit Vaidya, 1999. "The Regional Distribution of Foreign Direct Investment in China," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(9), pages 857-867.
- C K Leung, 1996. "Foreign manufacturing investment and regional industrial growth in Guangdong Province, China," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 28(3), pages 513-536, March.
- Joel Deichmann & Socrates Karidis & Selin Sayek, 2003. "Foreign direct investment in Turkey: regional determinants," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(16), pages 1767-1778.
- I Eng & Y Lin, 1996. "Seeking Competitive Advantage in an Emergent Open Economy: Foreign Direct Investment in Chinese Industry," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 28(6), pages 1113-1138, June.
- Smith Jr. , Donald F. & Florida Richard, 1994. "Agglomeration and Industrial Location: An Econometric Analysis of Japanese-Affiliated Manufacturing Establishments in Automotive-Related Industries," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 23-41, July.
- Canfei He, 2002. "Information costs, agglomeration economies and the location of foreign direct investment in China1," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1029-1036.
- I Eng & Y Lin, 1996. "Seeking competitive advantage in an emergent open economy: foreign direct investment in Chinese industry," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 28(6), pages 1113-1138, June.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1997. "How foreign investment affects host countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1745, The World Bank.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa05p437. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.