The Great Recession, 'Rainy Day' Funds, and Countercyclical Fiscal Policy in Latin America
This paper examines the fiscal policy options that were available to Latin American countries at the onset of the current global economic crisis. It concludes that most of the major countries in the region possessed the fiscal space (as measured by credible fiscal sustainability and debt headroom) to run prudent countercyclical fiscal deficits. For those countries, the appropriate policy response involved a constrained fiscal expansion focused on productive public spending and financed by drawing on the "rainy day" funds - in the form of large stocks of foreign exchange reserves - that they accumulated in prior years, rather than by market borrowing. It shows that the recent surge in multilateral financial activity to alleviate market illiquidity, whether intended for reserve or budget support, strengthens the case for this policy prescription : with multilateral support, the appropriate policy response is more expansionary, and its financing is less reliant on market borrowing.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2010|
|Publication status:||Published in Contemporary Economic Policy, Vol. 29, No. 3 (July 2011)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Williamstown, MA 01267|
Phone: 413 597 2476
Fax: 413 597 4045
Web page: http://econ.williams.edu
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2002.
"Fear of Floating,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 117(2), pages 379-408.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000. "Fear of Floating," NBER Working Papers 7993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2002. "Fear of floating," MPRA Paper 14000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eduardo Fernandez-Arias & Peter Montiel, 2009. "Crisis Response in Latin America: Is the "Rainy Day" at Hand?," Research Department Publications 4628, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Peter J. Montiel, 2009. "Crisis Response in Latin America: Is the "Rainy Day" at Hand?," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6769, Inter-American Development Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wil:wileco:2010-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Sheppard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.