The Impact of Customs Procedures on Business Performance: Evidence from Kosovo
This paper aims to identify formal and informal institutional factors in customs procedures and their impact on the performance of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) involved in international trade in Kosovo based on a questionnaire conducted in 2009. The econometric findings show that one of the most important obstacles encountered by SMEs are regular appeals against customs decisions that are assumed to be inter alia a consequence of frequent changes in over-complicated laws and regulations. However, there is a positive and significant effect of the formal customs institutions that facilitate the trade of imported goods, namely of so-called customs procedures with economic impact.
|Length:||17 pages including 4 Tables|
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as wiiw Working Paper|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rahlgasse 3, A-1060 Vienna|
Phone: (+43-1) 533 66 10
Fax: (+43-1) 533 66 10-50
Web page: http://www.wiiw.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://wiiw.ac.at|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Verwaal, Ernst & Donkers, Bas, 2003.
"Customs-Related Transaction Costs, Firm Size and International Trade Intensity,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 257-71, November.
- Verwaal, E. & Donkers, A.C.D., 2001. "Customs-Related Transaction Costs, Firm Size and International Trade Intensity," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-13-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Matthias Almus, 2002. "What characterizes a fast-growing firm?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(12), pages 1497-1508.
- Zoltan Acs & David Audretsch, 1990. "Innovation and Small Firms," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011131.
- Bohata, Marie & Mladek, Jan, 1999. "The development of the czech sme sector," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 14(5-6), pages 461-473.
- Francesca Pissarides & Miroslav Singer & Jan Svejnar, 2000.
"Objectives and Constraints of Entrepreneurs: Evidence from Small and Medium Size Enterprises in Russia and Bulgaria,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
346, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Pissarides, Francesca & Singer, Miroslav & Svejnar, Jan, 2003. "Objectives and constraints of entrepreneurs: evidence from small and medium size enterprises in Russia and Bulgaria," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 503-531, September.
- Pissarides, Francesca & Singer, Miroslav & Svejnar, Jan, 2003. "Objectives and Constraints of Entrepreneurs: Evidence from Small and Medium-Size Enterprises in Russia and Bulgaria," CEPR Discussion Papers 4142, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Dixit, A., 1988.
"Entry And Exit Decisions Under Uncertainty,"
91, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Schiffer, M. & Weder, B., 2001.
"Firm Size and the Business Environment: Worldwide Survey Results,"
43, World Bank - International Finance Corporation.
- Mirjam Schiffer & Beatrice Weder, 2001. "Firm Size and the Business Environment : Worldwide Survey Results," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13988, August.
- Chandler, Gaylen N. & Hanks, Steven H., 1998. "An examination of the substitutability of founders human and financial capital in emerging business ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 353-369, September.
- Richard E. Caves, 1998. "Industrial Organization and New Findings on the Turnover and Mobility of Firms," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 1947-1982, December.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 2002. "The Central Role of Entrepreneurs in Transition Economies," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 153-170, Summer.
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- Ruta Aidis & Saul Estrin, 2006.
"Institutions, Networks and Entrepreneurship Development in Russia: An Exploration,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp833, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Aidis, Ruta & Estrin, Saul, 2006. "Institutions, Networks and Entrepreneurship Development in Russia: An Exploration," IZA Discussion Papers 2161, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Smallbone, David & Welter, Friederike, 2001. "The Distinctiveness of Entrepreneurship in Transition Economies," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 249-62, June.
- Besnik A. Krasniqi, 2007. "Barriers To Entrepreneurship And Sme Growth In Transition: The Case Of Kosova," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(01), pages 71-94.
- Colombo, Massimo G. & Grilli, Luca, 2005. "Founders' human capital and the growth of new technology-based firms: A competence-based view," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 795-816, August.
- Ruta Aidis, 2005. "Institutional Barriers to Small- and Medium-Sized Enterprise Operations in Transition Countries," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 25(4), pages 305-317, November.
- David Audretsch, 2009.
"The entrepreneurial society,"
The Journal of Technology Transfer,
Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 245-254, June.
- Francesca Lotti & Enrico Santarelli & Marco Vivarelli, 2003. "Does Gibrat's Law hold among young, small firms?," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 213-235, August.
- José Fariñas & Lourdes Moreno, 2000. "Firms' Growth, Size and Age: A Nonparametric Approach," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 249-265, November.
- Aidis, Ruta & Estrin, Saul & Mickiewicz, Tomasz, 2009.
"Entrepreneurial Entry: Which Institutions Matter?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7278, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henrekson, Magnus, 2007. "Entrepreneurship and Institutions," Working Paper Series 707, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wii:wpaper:76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Customer service)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.