The Impact of Customs Procedures on Business Performance: Evidence from Kosovo
This paper aims to identify formal and informal institutional factors in customs procedures and their impact on the performance of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) involved in international trade in Kosovo based on a questionnaire conducted in 2009. The econometric findings show that one of the most important obstacles encountered by SMEs are regular appeals against customs decisions that are assumed to be inter alia a consequence of frequent changes in over-complicated laws and regulations. However, there is a positive and significant effect of the formal customs institutions that facilitate the trade of imported goods, namely of so-called customs procedures with economic impact.
|Length:||17 pages including 4 Tables|
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as wiiw Working Paper|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rahlgasse 3, A-1060 Vienna|
Phone: (+43-1) 533 66 10
Fax: (+43-1) 533 66 10-50
Web page: http://www.wiiw.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://wiiw.ac.at|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, A., 1988.
"Entry And Exit Decisions Under Uncertainty,"
91, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Aidis, Ruta & Estrin, Saul & Mickiewicz, Tomasz, 2009.
"Entrepreneurial Entry: Which Institutions Matter?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7278, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- José Fariñas & Lourdes Moreno, 2000. "Firms' Growth, Size and Age: A Nonparametric Approach," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 249-265, November.
- Francesca Lotti & Enrico Santarelli & Marco Vivarelli, 2003. "Does Gibrat's Law hold among young, small firms?," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 213-235, August.
- Pissarides, Francesca & Singer, Miroslav & Svejnar, Jan, 2003.
"Objectives and constraints of entrepreneurs: evidence from small and medium size enterprises in Russia and Bulgaria,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 503-531, September.
- Pissarides, Francesca & Singer, Miroslav & Svejnar, Jan, 2003. "Objectives and Constraints of Entrepreneurs: Evidence from Small and Medium-Size Enterprises in Russia and Bulgaria," CEPR Discussion Papers 4142, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesca Pissarides & Miroslav Singer & Jan Svejnar, 2000. "Objectives and Constraints of Entrepreneurs: Evidence from Small and Medium Size Enterprises in Russia and Bulgaria," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 346, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Smallbone, David & Welter, Friederike, 2001. "The Distinctiveness of Entrepreneurship in Transition Economies," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 249-62, June.
- Richard E. Caves, 1998. "Industrial Organization and New Findings on the Turnover and Mobility of Firms," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 1947-1982, December.
- Colombo, Massimo G. & Grilli, Luca, 2005. "Founders' human capital and the growth of new technology-based firms: A competence-based view," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 795-816, August.
- Verwaal, Ernst & Donkers, Bas, 2003.
"Customs-Related Transaction Costs, Firm Size and International Trade Intensity,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 257-71, November.
- Verwaal, E. & Donkers, A.C.D., 2001. "Customs-Related Transaction Costs, Firm Size and International Trade Intensity," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-13-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Audretsch, David B., 2007.
"The Entrepreneurial Society,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780195183504, December.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- Aidis, Ruta & Estrin, Saul, 2006.
"Institutions, Networks and Entrepreneurship Development in Russia: An Exploration,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2161, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ruta Aidis & Saul Estrin, 2006. "Institutions, Networks and Entrepreneurship Development in Russia: An Exploration," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp833, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Chandler, Gaylen N. & Hanks, Steven H., 1998. "An examination of the substitutability of founders human and financial capital in emerging business ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 353-369, September.
- Besnik A. Krasniqi, 2007. "Barriers To Entrepreneurship And Sme Growth In Transition: The Case Of Kosova," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(01), pages 71-94.
- Ruta Aidis, 2005. "Institutional Barriers to Small- and Medium-Sized Enterprise Operations in Transition Countries," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 25(4), pages 305-317, November.
- Henrekson, Magnus, 2007. "Entrepreneurship and Institutions," Working Paper Series 707, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Bohata, Marie & Mladek, Jan, 1999. "The development of the czech sme sector," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 14(5-6), pages 461-473.
- Schiffer, M. & Weder, B., 2001.
"Firm Size and the Business Environment: Worldwide Survey Results,"
43, World Bank - International Finance Corporation.
- Mirjam Schiffer & Beatrice Weder, 2001. "Firm Size and the Business Environment : Worldwide Survey Results," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13988.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 2002. "The Central Role of Entrepreneurs in Transition Economies," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 153-170, Summer.
- Matthias Almus, 2002. "What characterizes a fast-growing firm?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(12), pages 1497-1508.
- Zoltan Acs & David Audretsch, 1990. "Innovation and Small Firms," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011131, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wii:wpaper:76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Customer service)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.