The Reorientation of Transition Countries’ Exports: Changes in Quantity, Quality and Variety
The paper analyzes the factors behind the reorientation of transition countries’ exports to their non-traditional partners outside their former block. First, the amount of reorientation is calculated using a gravity model. Then, reasons for the cross-country differences in the rate of closing the gap between the actual and potential exports, such as increases in quantity, quality, and variety, are analyzed using a variety of measures from the literature. The results show that although exports have increased significantly, as of 1999 they are still far below the potential in CIS and to a lesser extent in CEEC. Change in quantity has been the primary reason behind the reorientation of CIS exports. However, it had smaller effect on CEEC reorientation, where increase in product variety has been important. Although some quality improvement is observed in both CEEC and CIS, it had small effect on the extent of reorientation.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Funke & Ralf Ruhwedel, 2000.
"Product Variety and Economic Growth - Empirical Evidence for the OECD Countries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
250, CESifo Group Munich.
- By Michael Funke & Ralf Ruhwedel, 2001. "Product Variety and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence for the OECD Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(2), pages 1.
- Ralf Ruhwedel & Michael Funke, 2001. "Product Variety and Economic Growth Empirical Evidence for the OECD Countries," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20104, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Michael Funke & Ralf Ruhwedel, 1999. "Product Variety and Economic Growth-Empirical Evidence for the OECD Countries," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9906, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Michael Funke, 2000. "Product Variety and Economic Growth; Empirical Evidence for the Oecd Countries," IMF Working Papers 00/5, International Monetary Fund.
- Drábek, Zdenek & Smith, Alasdair, 1995. "Trade Performance and Trade Policy in Central and Eastern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1182, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Davis, Donald R., 1995. "Intra-industry trade: A Heckscher-Ohlin-Ricardo approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 201-226, November.
- Grossman, Gene M & Helpman, Elhanan, 1991.
"Quality Ladders and Product Cycles,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 557-86, May.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1989. "Quality Ladders And Product Cycles," Papers 152, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1989. "Quality Ladders and Product Cycles," NBER Working Papers 3201, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1989. "Quality Ladders And Product Cycles," Papers 39-89, Tel Aviv.
- Treml, Vladimir G., 1981. "The inferior quality of Soviet machinery as reflected in export prices," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 200-221, June.
- Robert C. Feenstra & James R. Markusen, 1992.
"Accounting for Growth With New Inputs,"
NBER Working Papers
4114, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brenton, Paul & Gros, Daniel, 1997. "Trade Reorientation and Recovery in Transition Economies," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 65-76, Summer.
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1994. "New Product Varieties and the Measurement of International Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 157-77, March.
- David Hummels & Peter J. Klenow, 2002. "The Variety and Quality of a Nation's Trade," NBER Working Papers 8712, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Hufbauer, 1970. "The Impact of National Characteristics & Technology on the Commodity Composition of Trade in Manufactured Goods," NBER Chapters, in: The Technology Factor in International Trade, pages 143-232 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521480857 is not listed on IDEAS
- Muscatelli, Vito Antonio & Stevenson, Andrew A & Montagna, Catia, 1995. "Modeling Aggregate Manufactured Exports for Some Asian Newly Industrialized Economies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 147-55, February.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 1963. "Price and Quantity Trends in the Foreign Trade of the United States," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number lips63-1, October.
- Oleg Bogomolov, 1987. "The Socialist Countries at a Critical Stage in World Economic Development," Problems of Economic Transition, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 30(8), pages 38-54, December.
- Nathan Sheets & Simona Boata, 1998. "Eastern European Export Performance During The Transition," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 16(2), pages 211-226, 04.
- Gerhard Prosi, 1998. "Economic cooperation between members of the European union and the new democratic countries in Europe," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 111-118.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1996. "Intra-Industry Trade, Foreign Direct Investment and the Reorientation of East European Exports," CEPR Discussion Papers 1377, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Y. Kandogan, 2003. "Reconsidering the adjustment costs of the Europe agreements," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 63-68.
- Chonira Aturupane & Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1999. "Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade between Eastern Europe and the European union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 62-81, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2003-631. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.