Cross-Border Trading as a Mechanism for Capital Flight: ADRs and the Argentine Crisis
This paper examines the surprising performance of the Argentine stock market in the midst of the country’s most recent financial crisis and the role played by ADRs in Argentine capital flight. Although Argentine investors were subject to capital controls, they were able to purchase stocks with associated ADRs for pesos in Argentina, convert them into ADRs, re-sell them in New York for dollars and deposit the dollar proceeds in U.S. bank accounts. In the paper we show that: (1) ADR discounts went as high as 60% (indicating that Argentine investors were willing to pay significant amounts in order to legally move their funds abroad), (2) the market anticipated (correctly) a 40% devaluation, (3) local market factors in Argentina became more important in pricing peso denominated stocks with associated ADRs, while the same stocks in New York were mainly priced based on global factors, (4) capital outflow using the ADR market was substantial (our estimate is between $835 million and $3.4 billion).
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christine X. Jiang, 1998. "Diversification with American Depository Receipts: The Dynamics and the Pricing Factors," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5&6), pages 683-699.
- G. Andrew Karolyi & Rene M. Stulz, 2002.
"Are Financial Assets Priced Locally or Globally?,"
NBER Working Papers
8994, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen R. Foerster & G. Andrew Karolyi, 1999. "The Effects of Market Segmentation and Investor Recognition on Asset Prices: Evidence from Foreign Stocks Listing in the United States," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 981-1013, 06.
- Kristin J Forbes, 2002.
"How Do Large Depreciations Affect Firm Performance?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(Special i), pages 214-238.
- Kristin J. Forbes, 2002. "How Do Large Depreciations Affect Firm Performance?," NBER Working Papers 9095, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Forbes, Kristin, 2002. "How Do Large Depreciations Affect Firm Performance?," Working papers 4379-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Domowitz, Ian & Glen, Jack & Madhavan, Ananth, 1997. " Market Segmentation and Stock Prices: Evidence from an Emerging Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 1059-85, July.
- Alejandro Izquierdo & Ernesto Talvi & Guillermo A. Calvo, 2002.
"Sudden Stops, the Real Exchange Rate and Fiscal Sustainability: Argentina's Lessons,"
Research Department Publications
4299, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Alejandro Izquierdo & Ernesto Talvi, 2002. "Sudden Stops, the Real Exchange Rate and Fiscal Sustainability: Argentina's Lessons," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6821, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Alejandro Izquierdo & Ernesto Talvi, 2003. "Sudden Stops, the Real Exchange Rate, and Fiscal Sustainability: Argentina's Lessons," NBER Working Papers 9828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huang, Roger D. & Stoll, Hans R., 2001. "Exchange rates and firms' liquidity: evidence from ADRs," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 297-325, June.
- Scholes, Myron & Williams, Joseph, 1977. "Estimating betas from nonsynchronous data," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-327, December.
- Eun, Cheol S & Janakiramanan, S, 1986. " A Model of International Asset Pricing with a Constraint on the Foreign Equity Ownership," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(4), pages 897-914, September.
- Kim, Minho & Szakmary, Andrew C. & Mathur, Ike, 2000. "Price transmission dynamics between ADRs and their underlying foreign securities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(8), pages 1359-1382, August.
- Ahearne, Alan G. & Griever, William L. & Warnock, Francis E., 2004.
"Information costs and home bias: an analysis of US holdings of foreign equities,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 313-336, March.
- Alan G. Ahearne & William L. Griever & Francis E. Warnock, 2000. "Information costs and home bias: an analysis of U.S. holdings of foreign equities," International Finance Discussion Papers 691, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Melvin, Michael, 2003.
"A stock market boom during a financial crisis?: ADRs and capital outflows in Argentina,"
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 129-136, October.
- Michael Melvin, . "A Stock Market Boom During a Financial Crisis? ADRs and capital outflows in Argentina," Working Papers 2133524, Department of Economics, W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University.
- Feldstein, Martin, 2002. "Argentina's Fall: Lessons from the Latest Financial Crisis," Scholarly Articles 2959849, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Michael Mussa, 2002. "Argentina and the Fund: From Triumph to Tragedy," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa67.
- Alexander, Gordon J & Eun, Cheol S & Janakiramanan, S, 1987. " Asset Pricing and Dual Listing on Foreign Capital Markets: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 151-58, March.
- Errunza, Vihang & Losq, Etienne, 1985. " International Asset Pricing under Mild Segmentation: Theory and Test," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 105-24, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2002-513. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.