Equilibrium Real Exchange Rates in Central Europe's Transition Economies: Knocking on Heaven's Door
The purpose of this paper is to study the equilibrium real exchange rate (ERER) in 5 CEE transition economies, namely the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia. In so doing, we combine the fundamental equilibrium exchange rate (FEER) approach developed by Williamson (1994) with the behavioural equilibrium exchange rate (BEER) approach advocated by Clark and MacDonald (1998). Our analysis is based on the theoretical model proposed by Montiel (1999) which defines internal balance in terms of the relative price of nontradables and determines external balance in terms of net foreign assets. The empirical part of the paper consists in estimating a VAR-based 3-equation cointegration system. Long-term equilibrium values for relative prices are determined by using relative productivity and private consumption, while the current account, representing external balance, is linked to terms of trade and openness ([X+M]/GDP). In order to derive the ERER and then to compute total misalignment, we finally substitute the long-run values for external and internal balances in the simultaneously estimated cointegration relationship connecting the RER with relative prices and the current account. Results show that the gap between observed real exchange rate developments and the path of the equilibrium real exchange rate differs substantially among the 5 transition countries.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 724 E. University Ave, Wyly Hall 1st Flr, Ann Arbor MI 48109|
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Enrique Alberola & Susana G. Cervero & Humberto Lopez & Angel Ubide, 2000. "Global Equilibrium Exchange Rates: Euro, Dollar, "Ins," "Outs," and Other Major Currencies in a Panel Cointegration Framework," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0051, Econometric Society.
- KornÃ©lia KrajnyÃ¡k & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 1998.
"Competitiveness in Transition Economies: What Scope for Real Appreciation?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(2), pages 309-362, June.
- Kornelia Krajnyak & Jeronimo Zettelmeyer, 1997. "Competitiveness in Transition Economies; What Scope for Real Appreciation?," IMF Working Papers 97/149, .
- Lionel Halpern & Charles Wyplosz, 1996.
"Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies,"
IMF Working Papers
- LÃ¡szlÃ³ Halpern & Charles Wyplosz, 1997. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(4), pages 430-461, December.
- De Broeck, Mark & Slok, Torsten, 2006.
"Interpreting real exchange rate movements in transition countries,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 368-383, March.
- International Monetary Fund, 2001. "Interpreting Real Exchange Rate Movements in Transition Countries," IMF Working Papers 01/56, .
- Clostermann, Jörg & Schnatz, Bernd, 2000. "The determinants of the euro-dollar exchange rate: synthetic fundamentals and a non-existing currency," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2000,02, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Francisco Maeso-Fernandez & Chiara Osbat & Bernd Schnatz, 2001.
"Determinants of the euro real effective exchange rate: a BEER/PEER approach,"
- Francisco Maeso-Fernandez & Chiara Osbat & Bernd Schnatz, 2002. "Determinants of the Euro Real Effective Exchange Rate: A BEER/PEER Approach," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 437-461, December.
- Maeso-Fernandez, Francisco & Osbat, Chiara & Schnatz, Bernd, 2001. "Determinants of the euro real effective exchange rate: a BEER/PEER approach," Working Paper Series 0085, European Central Bank.
- De Broeck, Mark & Sloek, Torsten, 2001. "Interpreting real exchange rate movements in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Susana Garcia Cervero & J. Humberto Lopez & Enrique Alberola Ila & Angel J. Ubide, 1999. "Global Equilibrium Exchange Rates; Euro, Dollar, â€œIns,â€ â€œOuts,â€ and Other Major Currencies in a Panel Cointegration Framework," IMF Working Papers 99/175, .
- Ronald MacDonald & Peter B. Clark, 1998. "Exchange Rates and Economic Fundamentals; A Methodological Comparison of BEERs and FEERs," IMF Working Papers 98/67, .
- Joannes Mongardini, 1998. "Estimating Egyptâ€™s Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate," IMF Working Papers 98/5, .
- Clark, Peter B. & MacDonald, Ronald, 2004.
"Filtering the BEER: A permanent and transitory decomposition,"
Global Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-56.
- Peter B. Clark & Ronald MacDonald, 2000. "Filtering the Beer; A Permanent and Transitory Decomposition," IMF Working Papers 00/144, .
- G. C. Lim, 2000. "Misalignment and Managed Exchange Rates; An Application to the Thai Baht," IMF Working Papers 00/63, .
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2002-480. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (WDI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.