Public sector debt, fiscal deficits, and economic adjustment : a comparative study of six EMENA countries
The authors analyzed the experience of six countries (Algeria, Morocco, Pakistan, Portugal, Turkey, and Yugoslavia) and compared it with the experiences of Latin American countries. They conclude that some countries successfully absorbed the external shock of the 1980s by: (a) minimizing the effects of the external shock by combining external and domestic debt strategies; (b) adjusting their fiscal deficits; (c) experiencing a positive external shock; and (d) fostering growth by stimulating export growth and developing domestic financial markets. No single country fully implemented this strategy; those most successful in doing so were Morocco, Portugal, and Turkey. Their experience contrasts with that of some Latin American countries that experienced a similar external shock but failed to undertake fiscal adjustment and financed most of their deficit through money finance - thus experiencing high inflation levels and overburdening their private sector. In some respects, Yugoslavia had the same experience.
|Date of creation:||31 Jan 1992|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faini, Riccardo, 1991. "The macroeconomics of the public sector deficit : the case of Morocco," Policy Research Working Paper Series 631, The World Bank.
- Easterly, William & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1991. "The macroeconomics of public sector deficits : a synthesis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 775, The World Bank.
- Fischer, Stanley & Easterly, William, 1990. "The Economic of the Government Budget Constraint," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 5(2), pages 127-142, July.
- Jean-Claude Chouraqui & Brian Jones & Robert Bruce Montador, 1986. "Public Debt in a Medium-Term Context and Its Implications for Fiscal Policy," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 30, OECD Publishing.
- Vito Tanzi, 1977. "Inflation, Lags in Collection, and the Real Value of Tax Revenue (L'inflation, les retards de recouvrement et la valeur rÃ©elle des recettes fiscales) (InflaciÃ³n, desfases en la recaudaciÃ³n y valor ," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(1), pages 154-167, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:840. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.