Bank financing to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Colombia
The objective of this paper is to shed light on current trends and policy challenges in the financing of small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) by banks in Colombia. The paper is motivated by the well-documented financing gap for SMEs, whose causes are complex and multi-dimensional. Based on data collection and interviews with the authorities, a representative sample of banks, and other relevant entities, the authors analyze the evolution and characteristics of this market in recent years. Bank financing to SMEs is becoming a strategic segment for Colombian credit institutions. The current business and risk management models for SME lending are still relatively underdeveloped, but greater sophistication is expected as the market matures. Important institutional and policy constraints to SME lending remain, but are not yet binding. In order to address these constraints before they"begin to bite", the authors identify and describe a potential policy reform agenda.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli, 2006. "Small and medium-size enterprises: Access to finance as a growth constraint," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 2931-2943, November.
- Klapper, Leora, 2006.
"The role of factoring for financing small and medium enterprises,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 3111-3130, November.
- Klapper, Leora, 2005. "The role of factoring for financing small and medium enterprises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3593, The World Bank.
- Philippe Aghion & Thibault Fally & Stefano Scarpetta, 2007.
"Credit constraints as a barrier to the entry and post-entry growth of firms,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 22, pages 731-779, October.
- Scarpetta, Stefano & Fally, Thibault & Aghion, Philippe, 2007. "Credit Constraints as a Barrier to the Entry and Post-Entry Growth of Firms," Scholarly Articles 4554208, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Thibault Fally & Stefano Scarpetta, 2007. "Credit constraints as a barrier to the entry and post-entry growth of firms," Post-Print hal-00813557, HAL.
- Aghion, Philippe & Fally, Thibault & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2007. "Credit Constraints as a Barrier to the Entry and Post-Entry Growth of Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 3237, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Laeven, L. & Maksimovic, V., 2006.
"The determinants of financing obstacles,"
Other publications TiSEM
3fd6bd22-71e9-4084-87a3-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 2005. "Financial and Legal Constraints to Growth: Does Firm Size Matter?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(1), pages 137-177, 02.
- Mauricio Cárdenas & Carolina Mejía, 2007. "Informalidad en Colombia: nueva evidencia," WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 002858, FEDESARROLLO.
- De la Cruz, Javier & Stephanou, Constantinos, 2006. "Financial system structure in Colombia : a proposal for a reform agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4006, The World Bank.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2002. "Financial and legal constraints to firm growth - Does size matter?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2784, The World Bank.
- Berger, Allen N. & Udell, Gregory F., 2005. "A more complete conceptual framework for financing of small and medium enterprises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3795, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:4481. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.