Combining insurance, contingent debt, and self-retention in an optimal corporate risk financing strategy
The authors provide a conceptual framework for designing a comprehensive risk financing strategy for a firm, using an optimal combination of three instruments: self-retention, contingent debt, and insurance. Using an original conceptual model, the risk management decisions of the firm are first decomposed into two sets-choosing attachment points for each layer of financing used in the overall risk financing structure, and, then determining optimal risk allocation arrangements within each layer of risk. This model allows the authors to show how these optimal risk financing arrangements are driven by the costs of risk management instruments, the risk characteristics, and the firm's borrowing constraints. Finally, the authors provide an original perspective to think about optimal ex ante risk management strategies, based on a combination of insurance, savings, and credit at the microeconomic or macroeconomic levels.
|Date of creation:||30 Nov 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Siegel, Paul B. & Alwang, Jeffrey & Canagarajah, Sudharshan, 2001. "Viewing microinsurance as a social risk management instrument," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 23305, The World Bank.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1988.
"Financial Market Imperfections and Business Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
2494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1993. "Financial Market Imperfections and Business Cycles," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(1), pages 77-114.
- Smith, Clifford W. & Stulz, René M., 1985. "The Determinants of Firms' Hedging Policies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 391-405, December.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Scharfstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1993.
" Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1629-58, December.
- Kenneth A. Froot & David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992. "Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies," NBER Working Papers 4084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregory W. Brown & Klaus Bjerre Toft, 2002. "How Firms Should Hedge," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(4), pages 1283-1324.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:3167. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.