Ownership structure and initial public offerings
The authors study the relationship between ownership structure, corporate governance, and the initial public offering (IPO) process. They examine equity ownership by different institutions, such as foreign and domestic financial institutions, banks with and without lending relationships, venture capitalists, and corporations prior to an IPO. The authors also analyze the relationship between ownership structure and corporate governance. They use a unique dataset of 152 Indian IPOs during the period 1999-2001 to analyze ownership of shares by main groups of shareholders. The authors find a relationship between ownership structure and firm-specific factors such as sales, leverage, and profitability, and IPO characteristics such as percentage of equity locked up, gross proceeds, and exchange of listing. There is also a strong relationship between ownership by different types of institutions. Ownership is also tied to bank lending relationships. Finally, the authors find strong relationships between ownership types and corporate governance. For example, firms with foreign investors are more likely to have an outside chief executive officer and offer an employee stock option plan.
|Date of creation:||31 Jul 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1998.
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 559-86, June.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1996. "Financial Dependence and Growth," NBER Working Papers 5758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, . "Financial Dependence and Growth," CRSP working papers 344, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Hellmann, Thomas F. & Puri, Manju, 2000.
"Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-up Firms: Empirical Evidence,"
1661, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Thomas Hellmann & Manju Puri, 2002. "Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-Up Firms: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 169-197, 02.
- Paul A. Gompers & Joy L. Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2002.
"Corporate Governance and Equity Prices,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-32, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Megginson, William L & Weiss, Kathleen A, 1991. " Venture Capitalist Certification in Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 879-903, July.
- Jay Ritter & Ivo Welch, 2002.
"A Review of IPO Activity, Pricing, and Allocations,"
NBER Working Papers
8805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jay R. Ritter & Ivo Welch, 2002. "A Review of IPO Activity, Pricing, and Allocations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(4), pages 1795-1828, 08.
- Kang, Jun-Koo & Stulz, Rene M., 1997.
"Why is there a home bias? An analysis of foreign portfolio equity ownership in Japan,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 3-28, October.
- Jun-Koo Kang & Rene M. Stulz, 1995. "Why Is There a Home Bias? An Analysis of Foreign Portfolio Equity Ownership in Japan," NBER Working Papers 5166, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alon Brav & Paul A. Gompers, 2003. "The Role of Lockups in Initial Public Offerings," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(1), pages 1-29.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 2002. "Research in emerging markets finance: looking to the future," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 429-448, December.
- King, Robert G & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-37, August.
- Jayati Sarkar & Subrata Sarkar, 2000. "Large Shareholder Activism in Corporate Governance in Developing Countries: Evidence from India," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 1(3), pages 161-194.
- Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon & Lang, Larry H. P., 2000. "The separation of ownership and control in East Asian Corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 81-112.
- Ajay Shah, 1995. "The Indian IPO Market: Empirical Facts," Finance 9507003, EconWPA.
- Michaely, Roni & Shaw, Wayne H, 1994. "The Pricing of Initial Public Offerings: Tests of Adverse-Selection and Signaling Theories," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(2), pages 279-319.
- Laura Casares Field, 2001. "The Expiration of IPO Share Lockups," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 471-500, 04.
- Michael J. Brennan. and H. Henry Cao., 1997.
"International Portfolio Investment Flows,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-271, University of California at Berkeley.
- Gompers, Paul A, 1995. " Optimal Investment, Monitoring, and the Staging of Venture Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1461-89, December.
- Carter, Richard B & Manaster, Steven, 1990. " Initial Public Offerings and Underwriter Reputation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1045-67, September.
- Baker, Malcolm & Gompers, Paul A, 2003. "The Determinants of Board Structure at the Initial Public Offering," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(2), pages 569-98, October.
- Merton, Robert C., 1987.
"A simple model of capital market equilibrium with incomplete information,"
1869-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1987. " A Simple Model of Capital Market Equilibrium with Incomplete Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 483-510, July.
- Stoughton, Neal M. & Zechner, Josef, 1998. "IPO-mechanisms, monitoring and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 45-77, July.
- Mark Grinblatt, 2001. "How Distance, Language, and Culture Influence Stockholdings and Trades," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(3), pages 1053-1073, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:3103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.