An Empirical Examination of Trade Relations between New Zealand and China in the Context of a Free Trade Agreement
This study examines the bilateral trade relations between New Zealand and China between 1980 and 2012. Specifically, it examines, first, the strength of the trade relationship using export and import intensity indices. Secondly, it identifies the degree of trade reciprocity using a 'trade reciprocity index'. Thirdly, it estimates the magnitude of intra-industry trade using the Grubel-Lloyd and Aquino indices. Fourthly, it analyses the results from these indices to consider how trade patterns, directions and trade relations have changed between 1980 and 2012. Finally, it assesses the future prospects of trade and economic cooperation between New Zealand and China in the context of the their 2008 free trade agreement. This is the first - and possibly the only study of its kind - since the signing of the trade agreement.
|Date of creation:||28 Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Private Bag 3105, Hamilton, New Zealand, 3240|
Phone: + 64 (0)7 838 4758 (Administrator)
Fax: (647) 838-4331
Web page: http://cms.mngt.waikato.ac.nz/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Aquino, 1978. "Intra-industry trade and inter-industry specialization as concurrent sources of International Trade in manufactures," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 114(2), pages 275-296, June.
- Drysdale, Peter & Garnaut, Ross, 1982. "Trade Intensities and the Analysis of Bilateral Trade Flows in a Many-Country World : A Survey," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 22(2), pages 62-84, February.
- Andrew K. Rose, 1991.
"Why Has Trade Grown Faster than Income?,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 417-427, May.
- Andrew K. Rose, 1990. "Why has trade grown faster than income?," International Finance Discussion Papers 390, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kiichiro Fukasaku, 1992. "Economic Regionalisation and Intra-Industry Trade: Pacific-Asian Perspectives," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 53, OECD Publishing.
- Swapan K. Bhattacharya & Biswanath Bhattacharyay, 2007. "Gains and Losses of India-China Trade Cooperation – a Gravity Model Impact Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 1970, CESifo Group Munich. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wai:econwp:14/04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brian Silverstone)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.