Metaheuristic algorithms for the simultaneous slot allocation problem
In this paper, we formalize the simultaneous slot allocation problem. It is an extension of the problem currently tackled for allocating airport slots: it deals with all airports simultaneously and it enforces the respect of airspace sector capacities. By solving this novel problem, the system may overcome some major inefficiencies that characterize the current slot allocation process. We tackle the simultaneous slot allocation problem with two algorithms based on metaheuristics, namely Iterated Local Search and Variable Neighborhood Search, and with an integer linear programming model: for each of these three algorithms, we allow a fixed computation time, and we take the best solution found during that time as the final solution. We compare these algorithms on randomly generated instances, and we show that, when small instances are to be tackled, metaheuristics are competitive with the exact model. When medium or large instances are to be tackled, the exact model suffers some major issues in terms of memory and computation time requirements. Metaheuristics, instead, can deal with very large instances, achieving very high quality results.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: San Giobbe, Cannaregio 873, 30121 Venezia|
Phone: +39 0412348721
Fax: +39 0412348701
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.management
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S.J. Rassenti & V.L. Smith & R.L. Bulfin, 1982. "A Combinatorial Auction Mechanism for Airport Time Slot Allocation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 402-417, Autumn.
- Starkie, David, 1998. "Allocating airport slots: a role for the market?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 111-116.
- Lorenzo Castelli & Paola Pellegrini & Raffaele Pesenti, 2010.
"Airport slot allocation in Europe: economic efficiency and fairness,"
197, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Lorenzo Castelli & Paola Pellegrini & Raffaele Pesenti, 2012. "Airport slot allocation in Europe: economic efficiency and fairness," International Journal of Revenue Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 6(1/2), pages 28-44.
- Erik T. Verhoef, 2008.
"Congestion Pricing, Slot Sales and Slot Trading in Aviation,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
08-030/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Verhoef, Erik T., 2010. "Congestion pricing, slot sales and slot trading in aviation," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 320-329, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vnm:wpdman:9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco LiCalzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.