Airport slot allocation in Europe: economic efficiency and fairness
We propose a mechanism for solving the airport slot allocation problem in Europe. We consider the interdependence of the slots at different airports, and we maximize the efficiency of the system. Through an experimental analysis we quantitatively assess the cost imposed by grandfather rights, which constitute one of the main principles of the current slot allocation mechanism. Moreover, we introduce the possibility to fairly redistribute costs among airlines through monetary compensations. Our results suggest that it is possible to remove grandfather rights without significantly penalizing airlines.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dorsoduro, 3825/E, 30123 Venezia|
Phone: ++39 041 2346910-6911
Fax: ++ 39 041 5221756
Web page: http://www.dma.unive.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sentance, A., 2003. "Airport slot auctions: desirable or feasible?," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 53-57, March.
- Erik T. Verhoef, 2008.
"Congestion Pricing, Slot Sales and Slot Trading in Aviation,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
08-030/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Verhoef, Erik T., 2010. "Congestion pricing, slot sales and slot trading in aviation," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 320-329, March.
- Soomer, M.J. & Franx, G.J., 2008. "Scheduling aircraft landings using airlines' preferences," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 190(1), pages 277-291, October.
- Madas, Michael A. & Zografos, Konstantinos G., 2006. "Airport slot allocation: From instruments to strategies," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 53-62.
- S.J. Rassenti & V.L. Smith & R.L. Bulfin, 1982. "A Combinatorial Auction Mechanism for Airport Time Slot Allocation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 402-417, Autumn.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vnm:wpaper:197. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco LiCalzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.