Unemployment and Spell Duration during the Great Recession in the EU
The current economic recession has had unequal consequences on employment depending on the country considered. It is generally accepted that the negative impact of unemployment on individual welfare can be very different depending on its duration. However, conventional statistics on unemployment do not adequately capture to what extent the recession is not only increasing the incidence of unemployment but also its severity in terms of duration in time of ongoing unemployment spells. In this paper, we follow Shorrocks’s (2009a,b) proposal of a duration-sensitive measure of unemployment in order to analyze the different dynamic characteristics of unemployment in a selected group of European Union countries during the current Great Recession. Our results add some evidence on the relevance of incorporating the duration dimension in measuring unemployment and provide a tool for dynamic analysis based on cross-sectional data.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 986 - 812500
Fax: 986 - 812401
Web page: http://webs.uvigo.es/x06/en/welcome
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hector Sala & José I. Silva & Manuel Toledo, 2012.
"Flexibility at the Margin and Labor Market Volatility in OECD Countries,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 114(3), pages 991-1017, 09.
- Hector Sala & Jose I. Silva & Manuel E. Toledo, 2007. "Flexibility at the margin and labor market volatility in OECD countries," Economics Working Papers we075832, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Sala, Hector & Silva, José I. & Toledo, Manuel E., 2008. "Flexibility at the Margin and Labor Market Volatility in OECD Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 3293, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guell, Maia & Hu, Luojia, 2006.
"Estimating the probability of leaving unemployment using uncompleted spells from repeated cross-section data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 307-341, July.
- Güell, Maia & Hu, Luojia, 2003. "Estimating the Probability of Leaving Unemployment Using Uncompleted Spells from Repeated Cross-Section Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 3957, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maia Güell & Luojia Hu, 2003. "Estimating the probability of leaving unemployment using uncompleted spells from repeated cross-section data," Economics Working Papers 688, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Maia Güell & Luojia Hu, 2003. "Estimating the Probability of Leaving Unemployment using Uncompleted Spells from Repeated Cross-Section Data," Working Papers 41, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Maia Guell & Luojia Hu, 2003. "Estimating the Probability of Leaving Unemployment Using Uncompleted Spells from Repeated Cross-section Data," Working Papers 854, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Güell, Maia & Hu, Luojia, 2004. "Estimating the Probability of Leaving Unemployment Using Uncompleted Spells from Repeated Cross-Section Data," IZA Discussion Papers 1079, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paul, Satya, 2001. "A Welfare Loss Measure of Unemployment with an Empirical Illustration," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 69(2), pages 148-63, March.
- Vani K . Borooah, 2002. "A Duration‐sensitive Measure of the Unemployment Rate: Theory and Application," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 16(3), pages 453-468, 09.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Carcillo, Stéphane, 2011.
"Is Short-time Work a Good Method to Keep Unemployment Down?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8214, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Carcillo, Stéphane, 2011. "Is Short-Time Work a Good Method to Keep Unemployment Down?," IZA Discussion Papers 5430, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Clark, Andrew E & Oswald, Andrew J, 1994. "Unhappiness and Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 648-59, May.
- Paul, Satya, 1991. "On the measurement of unemployment," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 395-404, October.
- Salant, Stephen W, 1977.
"Search Theory and Duration Data: A Theory of Sorts,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 39-57, February.
- Stephen W. Salant, 1974. "Search theory and duration data: a theory of sorts," Special Studies Papers 42, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Martin Riese & K. Brunner, 1998. "Measuring the severity of unemployment," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 67(2), pages 167-180, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vig:wpaper:1205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia González Piñeiro)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.