Labor Markets, Unemployment and Optimal Inflation
The optimal infation rate and the relationship between inflation and unemployment are central issues in macroeconomics. It is widely accepted that inflation is a monetary phenomenon. However, there is little consensus with regard to unemployment. Economists differ widely in their view of labor markets and wage-setting mechanisms. The present paper develops a search-theoretic monetary model with imperfect labor markets. It studies the issue of the optimal inflation rate and the relationship between inflation and unemployment under four widely used wage-setting mechanisms: search and matching, wage posting, union bargaining, and efficiency wage. It finds that a higher inflation rate reduces output and employment under all wage setting mechanisms. The Friedman rule is not optimal under any wage setting mechanism except wage posting.
|Date of creation:||17 Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2|
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shi, Shouyong, 1998.
"Search for a Monetary Propagation Mechanism,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 314-352, August.
- Shi Shouyong, 1997. "Search for a Monetary Propagation Mechanism," Working Papers 966, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Benoit Julien & John Kennes & Ian King, 2000. "Bidding for Labor," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 3(4), pages 619-649, October.
- Julien, B. & Kennes, J. & King, I., 1998. "Bidding for Labour," Discussion Papers dp98-03, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Berentsen, Aleksander & Menzio, Guido & Wright, Randall D., 2007. "Inflation and Unemployment: Lagos-Wright meets Mortensen-Pissarides," Kiel Working Papers 1334, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Randall Wright & Guido Menzio & Aleksander Berentsen, 2007. "Inflation and unemployment: Lagos-Wright meets Mortensen-Pissarides," 2007 Meeting Papers 237, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Shi Shougong, 1995. "Money and Prices: A Model of Search and Bargaining," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 467-496, December.
- Shouyong Shi, 1995. "Money and Prices: A Model of Search and Bargaining," Working Papers 916, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Moen, Espen R, 1997. "Competitive Search Equilibrium," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 385-411, April.
- Moen, E.R., 1995. "Competitive Search Equilibrium," Memorandum 37/1995, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-444, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)